CaadX wheel upgrade to summer bike

JimCX
JimCX Posts: 3
edited July 2016 in Cyclocross
Hi
I've got a 2015 Caadx tiagra 10 speed disc brake, all stock apart from 28mm marathon plus tyres which serve well as a bomb proof commuter/ general purpose tyre.
I'm looking to get a second set of wheels to turn my bike into more of a summer road bike (don't really want to but another bike....yet), thinking of putting 25mm gatorskins on but unsure what wheels to get. I'd also like to get a 11-28 cassette on the new wheel instead of the 12-28 one thats on the stock wheels. what other parts do I need to get: free hub? rotors? quick release skewer?
I notice that there are 2 types of mounts for disc rotors, center lock or 6 hole, I presume which ever the wheel comes with I just buy the corresponding rotor and it will line up with the brakes which ever set of wheels I have on or will I be better off with another 6 hole mount like the stock ones?
Budget is about £300 all in

Thanks for any suggestions or pointers
Jim

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    The Hunt Mason 4Season Disc Road Aero/CX Wheelset or whatever it's called has got some good reviews recently - but it's a bit over your price point at £349.

If you do want something faster for road use - whatever wheels you get - I'd strongly suggest that you reconsider using gatorskins. They are hardy, tough, winter tyres and if you put them on nice new wheels it will not feel much on an improvement over the marathon plus tyres.
    May be worth consdiering tubeless or just something like GP4000s tyres.
  • JimCX
    JimCX Posts: 3
    Good point re tyres. The GP4000 look good
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,587
    Cosine or pro lite revo off of Wiggle?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    upgraded my Crux with a pair of Kinesis Crosslight Disc wheels.

Cost £300, took over 500 grammes off the existing wheelset weight- the wheels are around 1555 grammes which is not bad for cx disc wheels at that pricepoint
  • Mototarka
    Mototarka Posts: 31
    Cosine disc wheelset smokes Kinesis at all aspects. Same or even less weight, tubeless rim, slightly better freehub (IMHO), through axle support (not mentioned on their website), nearly half price.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-23mm-all ... -wheelset/
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I also have a 2015 CAADX Tiagra, I bought a pair of H Plus Archetypes, with Sapim Race spokes and Hope Pro Evo 2 hubs for £350. Around 600-700g lighter than the OEM wheels and much stiffer. I had to get some 0.5mm shims to sit behind the discs to get the clearance on the pads more centered. Very happy with them.
    A close second, is the 4700 50-34 chainset and BB conversion. Much better/wider spread of ratios (for me) and the down change from 50 to 34 is much less clunky than the 46-36
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Mototarka wrote:
    Cosine disc wheelset smokes Kinesis at all aspects. Same or even less weight, tubeless rim, slightly better freehub (IMHO), through axle support (not mentioned on their website), nearly half price.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-23mm-all ... -wheelset/

I'm running 2 x pairs of Kinesis CX Disc wheels tubeless with no issues (WTB 40 mm Nano's on one, WTB 32mm CrossWolf on the other). Great wheels, much lighter than the OE sets they replaced.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Mototarka
    Mototarka Posts: 31
    I'm not saying that Kinesis are bad wheels, but I found Cosine are the same for less money. ;)
  • thekooman
    thekooman Posts: 55
    Will the stock Caadx wheels take a 23mm or 25mm tyre? sorry to hijack thread, just curious.