Mavic Crossroc rear hub play

careca78
careca78 Posts: 102
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello

I have a Mavic Crossroc wheelset since august 2014 in my 456 Evo 2 and this last weekend I noticed some play in the rear wheel, even though the QR was tight.
Although I’m aware that the rear wheel of any hardtail is more prone to developing “issues” I still think it’s too early for that.
I haven’t disassembled the hub yet to try to understand the problem, so I’m relying on your experience.
Does anyone know what it may be? Is there any fix/adjustment?

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bearings gone or need adjusting?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • careca78
    I think the bearings are fine, because when I hold the wheel by the flanges instead of the QR axle it rotates smoothly. The play is noticeable with the wheel fitted and locked in place which makes me believe it may just need some tightening. The thing is that I don’t know how because according to the user manual “QRM hubs are adjusted in the factory in order to optimize performance and prevent premature wear” and I can’t find anything about it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They can rotate smoothly even if the bearings are worn. Cartridge bearings or cup and cone?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • careca78
    I've been googling about this issue and it seems it's quite common and unrelated to worn bearings.
    The bearings are of the sealed cartridge type and apparently are retained in place by a bevelled washer locked by a circlip and pre-tensioned at the factory. I have to find out if there is any way to tighten the whole thing or if I need to do something with the internals.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.