Oil/Grease on Suspension forks HELP!....

chudy-stuey
chudy-stuey Posts: 3
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, I know my suspension forks are pretty cheap ones but I keep getting oil/grease on the stems (see pic) is this normal?

I'll clean them with a rag and after 1-2 rides they're black again. Do I need to take them apart, clean them and re-grease?

Thanks in advance

Stu

IMG_0134.jpg

Comments

• Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Looks like it's time for a service or at least a seal/foam ring change - pretty simple job on most forks. Are the stanchions worn when you clean them? If so you might be fighting a losing battle.

When you clean them, I'd avoid using grease - a light fork oil or a silicone lube is better - wipe it on, bounce it a few times then wipe it off. Repeat until you stop getting dirty rings on the stanchions. If you use grease it will just attract dust and grot and keep it stuck to the stanchions...
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    I've got to ask, do you have a couple hundred to get a new and better fork?
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    oxoman wrote:
    No it's not really normal, what make are they.

Judging by the sticker on the side, it a suntour.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Thanks for all the replies.

They're Suntour XCM -HLO 27.5

I wish I had a few hundred quid but to be honest the bike is a diamondback Response so its not really worth splashing out money on the bike.

The stanchions don't look worn when they're clean. Hopefully it just needs new seals. Suspension wise they seem to feel ok, just looks crap!

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    New wiper seals needed, but I would be surprised if when you take them apart you don't find the stanchions are toast below the wiper seal. I've tried to salvage a pair that looked fine above the wiper seal and were rusted solid below it

Good quality used forks start at about £60-70, new seals will costs you £15.

Don't but anything until you've split them, to check the lower stanchions.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.