Find Pinch Puncture in Tubular

2plus2
2plus2 Posts: 53
edited May 2016 in Workshop
This might be a stupid question...but is there an easy way to find the location of a pinch puncture in a tubular tyre? Obviously with a pinch there's no hole to look for on the outside, so I'm a bit stumped.

It's a cheap cross tub which is probably beyond reuse for other reasons, but I thought I'd have a practice to see if I can fix it...though it is a Vittoria which I've read are pretty difficult to get into.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Very hard... I'd be tempted to use Vittoria Pitstop or similar latex system. Failing that, bin it or send it to the man who fixes tubs for 16 quid or so
    left the forum March 2023
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,161
    if there's no cut to the casing, and you want practice opening/closing the tub, in this instance it might be simpler to replace the tube

i'm assuming latex tube here

open the tub at the valve for a few cm, cut the tube across, at least 2-3 cm away from the valve base, tie a bit of thread to the long end, then pull the tube through to remove it

you can now either fix the tube, or use a new one (cut at the same position)

use the thread to pull the tube back through, insert one end into the other so there's 1-2cm overlap, put some talc on the inside of the end that will be inserted into the other end, this helps prevent it sticking to itself at the next step

use a toothpick or swab or brush to apply rema/other vulcanizing liquid within the overlap for the full circumference then squish the tube until it bonds, inflate a bit to check there's a good bond all the way around

resew, put on rim and inflate to maximum to test
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    sungod wrote:

Then bin once it explodes... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Tubulars, what a complete 'mare. I was fortunate in that my brief spell with a set, I never got a puncture. Tubeless carbon clinchers (which I previously said made no sense and I would never buy) are the way forward... :roll:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,161
    sungod wrote:

Then bin once it explodes... :lol:

mine do ok, i had practice :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny