Lynskey Sportive reach issues with setback seatpost

xstian
xstian Posts: 3
edited May 2016 in Road beginners
I've been riding a bike with an inline seatpost for the last couple of years. Having 52 cm saddle tip to handlebar reach and 6 cm drop. Saddle tip setback from bb has been 4.5 cm. I've been reading Steve Hogg's guide to fitting, where he says you should be balanced over the saddle to the point where you could remove your hands from the handlebars and stay balanced. Figuring my setup has been too front heavy, for my new Lynskey Sportive I got a setback seatpost, and saddle tip setback from bb is now 7.2 cm on that bike. Saddle to bars drop is the same as the other bike at 6 cm, but the reach is 55 cm with an 8 cm stem. I do feel on my new bike I'm sitting more comfortably on the saddle. On my old bike I sometimes seem to slide forward, which might seem weird since the saddle setback is less, but is probably due to not being balanced on the saddle. The problem is that the longer reach is giving me neck pain, and I really do feel like I have to reach for the hoods so I do believe I need a shorter reach. Strangely though, the stem is already short at 8 cm and the frame is right within my size. I'm 6 foot 1 inch or 185 cm and the frame is a Lynskey Sportive in size L. I feel like I need a shorter stem, but that just doesn't seem right given my size and the size of the frame. My bb to saddle top distance is 74 cm on both bikes btw, and that's the highest I can comfortably go. Thanks for any help or advice.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If your old setup was ok, just keep it.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    As this reads, you were comfortable on yourbike, but you read someone telling you you shouldn't have been, so you changed set up and now you are not comfortable! If that's correct change everything back and enjoy riding. If thats wrong can you clarify what the problems were, with the original set up, that you need to solve and then maybe you will get some good advice.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Steve Hogg gives some very good advice and there are good reasons behind what he says. However its all guidance and a starting point. Go with what works for you. Comfort is key.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • xstian
    xstian Posts: 3
    I guess you guys didn't understand what I wrote. I said I've been riding a bike with an inline seatpost for a couple of years. I said nothing of whether or not I was comfortable, but I'll say I wasn't UNcomfortable. What I however did say, was:
    "on my new bike I'm sitting more comfortably on the saddle. On my old bike I sometimes seem to slide forward, which might seem weird since the saddle setback is less, but is probably due to not being balanced on the saddle."
    Which in my head expressed clearly that I like the new saddle position significantly more. What was not so clear I guess was what I'm asking. Simply, I'm confused that with the measurements I provided, I feel an 8cm stem is way long. I consider 10cm average for a stem, and with my frame being just the right size for me, I'd expect a 10cm stem to feel about right. As it is, I feel like maybe a 4 or 5 cm would be the right length, but that would again indicate my frame is too large. This confuses me.
    I'm following the recommended procedure too: first position the saddle from the bb, then dial in the reach and drop with the right stem.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    xstian wrote:
    I guess you guys didn't understand what I wrote. I said I've been riding a bike with an inline seatpost for a couple of years. I said nothing of whether or not I was comfortable, but I'll say I wasn't UNcomfortable. What I however did say, was:
    "on my new bike I'm sitting more comfortably on the saddle. On my old bike I sometimes seem to slide forward, which might seem weird since the saddle setback is less, but is probably due to not being balanced on the saddle."
    Which in my head expressed clearly that I like the new saddle position significantly more. What was not so clear I guess was what I'm asking. Simply, I'm confused that with the measurements I provided, I feel an 8cm stem is way long. I consider 10cm average for a stem, and with my frame being just the right size for me, I'd expect a 10cm stem to feel about right. As it is, I feel like maybe a 4 or 5 cm would be the right length, but that would again indicate my frame is too large. This confuses me.
    I'm following the recommended procedure too: first position the saddle from the bb, then dial in the reach and drop with the right stem.
    I think for your new bike the saddle positions seems quite far back if 7.5 cm from BB, but you're taller than me, so it may be okay if it gets you the right power through the pedals. Have you checked to see if you knee is over the pedal spindle of the forward pedal when cranks are horizontal? Are the cranks the same length on both bikes?

I have an 80mm stem on my good bike, but I think any shorter would be too short. If your saddle position is correct, I would agree that your frame is too big if the 80mm stem is too much of a stretch. Have you tried flipping your stem so it is a bit higher, and therefore bring the bars a bit nearer you?

I was putting too much weight on my hands when my saddle was too far forward as I thought I needed to be closer to the bars. However I found to my surprise it to be more comfortable to have my saddle position further back with my body a bit more aero so that I could bend my arms more at the elbows. That way I find I am putting a lot less weight on my hands.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,580
    What is your inside leg measurement?

And what size frame?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    If I am reading this right - your saddle tip to handlebar reach (centre of bar - where stem plates meet?) was 52 cm and your saddle height from the centre of the bottom bracket was 74 cm - both of these dimensions seem rather short for someone who is 185cm. It is important to get your saddle height and your saddle setback correct - however, large incremental changes will cause issues even if you are approaching the correct fit. It is entirely possible that the frame you have isn't the correct fit in terms of both geometry and size.

Although expensive - and some people see them as snake oil salesmen - a good bike fitter such as Adrian Timmis near Burton Upon Trent will get you close to the ideal fit and at the same time give you an insight on how to achieve a good fit should you need to repeat the exercise again.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    xstian wrote:

Ok that makes more sense. Shorter than 8cm is way too short so something is amiss. Could well be the frame is too long with that new saddle position, but many many complex interrelated factors could be at play. I would recommend investing in a bike fit Adrian is highly recommended but if he's too far away find someone good near you.