Choosing the correct size

hythamfekry
hythamfekry Posts: 10
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi.. I'm 162 cm male with 73-75 cm inseam.. Where i live there are very few options available..
Note: i will be changing the whole groupset so my aim is to choose right frame
Im wavering between xs/49 speedster 60 and xss/47 speedster 50
For the xs i have to lower seat to the max so i have the correct knee angel..
The xss is fitting nice when seat is raised like 5 cm but i feel handlebar is close and my back angel is not right.. not so exited to buy an additional stem.. Just feel each frame i test have ups and downs.. Didn't find xs or xss in compact/female frames..
Last option was a 46 cm bianchi nirone 7 i assume it will be to small as o haven't test it.
Appreciate ur advise..

Comments

• Go to yer lbs
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • hythamfekry
    Go to yer lbs
    I did ... what's written above is what i found
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    If neither is quite right I wouldn't buy. I would suggest a good bike shop would fit a longer stem and let you try it out. If you are going to buy a £500 bike and possibly some accessories an appropriate size stem with a heavy discount (or even free) seems entirely appropriate. It sounds like the xxs is the correct size for the frame more generally, as normally at least a bit of seatpost is showing.
  • hythamfekry
    taon24 wrote:
    If neither is quite right I wouldn't buy. I would suggest a good bike shop would fit a longer stem and let you try it out. If you are going to buy a £500 bike and possibly some accessories an appropriate size stem with a heavy discount (or even free) seems entirely appropriate. It sounds like the xxs is the correct size for the frame more generally, as normally at least a bit of seatpost is showing.
    thanks for the reply . the bike shop suggested the same "changing the stem" ..
    After that is done , do u suggest buying XXS , or waiting until other models are available ..
    i'm afraid that unless i'm lucky problem can always be there "wavering between 2 sizes , not finding a frame that perfectly fit" .. all shops have limited to No XXS,XS stock ..
  • taon24
    I'm not sure i'd buy until i'd tried 2 bikes, so I could decide which is closer to what I felt comfortable with.
    There are many variables which will have differing effects on the 'feel' and handling of a bike. The height of the stem will alter the feel, while stem length and angle will alter the handling slightly as well. Different bike brands, and even different lines by a brand, will have different angles and different front forks, which will also affect the handling.

If you are looking to spend >£500, this isn't a cheap purchase, and if a bike shop isn't willing to put (some) time and effort into getting the bike comfortable for you, then go to a shop which will.

I'd try the bike you were looking at in XXS with a longer stem, which will alter the steering (longer stems mean bigger hand movements for turns) and see if it still feels ok. If you can knee the bars while standing up on the pedals then the handlebars are definitely too close.
    I would try at least one other bike that you would consider buying in a size where you can get at least a few cm of seatpost out of the frame (i.e. the right size) and then compare the two. If neither feels right keep looking.
  • hythamfekry
    taon24 wrote:
    I'm not sure i'd buy until i'd tried 2 bikes, so I could decide which is closer to what I felt comfortable with.
    There are many variables which will have differing effects on the 'feel' and handling of a bike. The height of the stem will alter the feel, while stem length and angle will alter the handling slightly as well. Different bike brands, and even different lines by a brand, will have different angles and different front forks, which will also affect the handling.

If you are looking to spend >£500, this isn't a cheap purchase, and if a bike shop isn't willing to put (some) time and effort into getting the bike comfortable for you, then go to a shop which will.

I'd try the bike you were looking at in XXS with a longer stem, which will alter the steering (longer stems mean bigger hand movements for turns) and see if it still feels ok. If you can knee the bars while standing up on the pedals then the handlebars are definitely too close.
    I would try at least one other bike that you would consider buying in a size where you can get at least a few cm of seatpost out of the frame (i.e. the right size) and then compare the two. If neither feels right keep looking.
    Apprecitae the reply .. actually for the XXS size , i feel i need shorter stem , it help me keep by back not bend and straight
  • taon24
    Apprecitae the reply .. actually for the XXS size , i feel i need shorter stem , it help me keep by back not bend and straight

I'd be very suprised if you felt the stem size was right on the XS, but too long on the XXS. The XXS stem will probably be lower than the XS, but that will be altering where the spacers are to bring the handlebars up.