Nano X pedal service

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Anyone else experienced this with the new nano-X pedals, the right side pedal developing a bit of play and clicking bearings?

Only had them on my bike a few weeks thought the bushing and bearing would have lasted longer than this.

I've taken off the end cap but what socket fits to undo the bolt?

Comparing these to the old nano thru pin pedals the hole to get a socket in is rather tight and none of my sockets will fit.

Once I can get the bolt undone is it a case of checking the bushing, is it still the same bearing each end and bushing in the middle?

Comments

• I recently bought some too, only been using them for about 2 weeks and the right pedal has developed clicky bearings, was just going to stick a load more grease in them as they are new I wouldn't have thought anything would have needed replacing?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    You can get a service kit from Superstar with replacement bearings, bushing, nut and seal. But get in touch with them directly as the kit that they say is appropriate for the Nano-X actually doesn't come with the right seal (its the old seal for the old Nanos). I ordered the kit, but emailed them later and they FOC sent me another kit with the right seals included (it was the seal that I'd busted).

Now, I might be wrong but I thought the order was bush - bearing - bearing - end cap based on the way mine came apart last week when I greased it up. But I'm not particularly mechanically minded...

(And as an aside, how does the bushing help? AFAI could see, it was just wedged in place and prevented the bearings from moving further down the axel when pre-loaded into place by the end cap?)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • swod1
    Only one bearing per pedal, a bushing plus an o ring on the newer nano x pedals that I could see.

I also have the older nano thru pin pedals which used a better rubber seal, I've since having them fitted new bearings and seals and no play or clicking in these, I've currently got them back on my bike, with the newer nano pedals sat in the box

Not sure if I'm going to mess around with them, mates of mine have chromag contacts which look a much better pedal and use a two bearing design, should have listened and bought those instead.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    It's definitely two bearings, as both of them came out of the pedal I stripped, and the superstar service pack comes with 4 x bearings, 2 x nuts, 2 x bush and 2 x seal. But both came out of the same end (the dustcap end, not the crank end).

They also supply a quick guide to servicing with the service pack and that also referred to the 2 x bearings in each pedal.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • swod1
    larkim wrote:
    It's definitely two bearings, as both of them came out of the pedal I stripped, and the superstar service pack comes with 4 x bearings, 2 x nuts, 2 x bush and 2 x seal. But both came out of the same end (the dustcap end, not the crank end).

They also supply a quick guide to servicing with the service pack and that also referred to the 2 x bearings in each pedal.

Interesting I just undid the bolt on the right pedal took out the axle to have a look and put it back in again tightened up the bolt must have missed it as everything was well covered in grease so I left it as was but play still in right pedal.

Think the tiny rubber o ring has perished, it did look like there was wear around the top of the axle end nearest to crank arm screw thread.
  • swod1
    swod1 wrote:
    larkim wrote:

Interesting I just undid the bolt on the right pedal took out the axle to have a look and put it back in again tightened up the bolt must have missed it as everything was well covered in grease so I left it as was but play still in right pedal.

Think the tiny rubber o ring has perished, it did look like there was wear around the top of the axle end nearest to crank arm screw thread.

Pedals are only couple months old but did get some use rides 3-4 times a week so maybe needed looking at but this soon?
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Interesting post - my right Nano X pedal only lasted 2 rides before having to be sent back for new bearings, it's better but after 3-4 rides is again noticeably noisier and spins more freely than the LHS
  • swod1
    JGTR wrote:
    Interesting post - my right Nano X pedal only lasted 2 rides before having to be sent back for new bearings, it's better but after 3-4 rides is again noticeably noisier and spins more freely than the LHS

Decided to have a look again at these pedals this week, took apart and checked them over looked fine to me but when back on the bike the clicking noise is still there.

I'm not a small lad so wondering if I'm putting too much weight on them causing the axle/bearings to click?

A mate is like just bin them off and get some chromag contacts, nice pedals but cost 80 quid.
  • swod1
    Had chance recently to play about with these pedals again and from looking inside once cleaned up the bushing is well worn, this is just the right pedal.

Service kit isn't a problem to buy just wondering how I would get the bushing out and refit.

Any ideas?
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I have had the exact same thing with my recent set. To the point where I didn't ride the bike try wet fitted to for 10'days and the pedals had seized. I stripped and regreased, but to me the seal looks inadequate. I am going to replace them with a different pair of pedals now. pins dropping out, just not impressed with the latest set. Going back to Hope f20's
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Having to send mine back for the second time now due to worn/noisy bearings, under a year old and probably one ride per month on average :-( (have 2 X toddlers so don't get out much at moment)
  • swod1
    Russyh wrote:
    I have had the exact same thing with my recent set. To the point where I didn't ride the bike try wet fitted to for 10'days and the pedals had seized. I stripped and regreased, but to me the seal looks inadequate. I am going to replace them with a different pair of pedals now. pins dropping out, just not impressed with the latest set. Going back to Hope f20's

On the new nano x pedals the rubber seal is smaller, I have a old pair of nano thru pin and the rubber washer is better shame you cant use the old seal on the new pedals due to the little recess inside that it sits in.

Hope F20s heard they use 3 bearings each pedal how does that work as I know Hope stuff is good using there hubs on my bike without any bother.
    JGTR wrote:
    Having to send mine back for the second time now due to worn/noisy bearings, under a year old and probably one ride per month on average :-( (have 2 X toddlers so don't get out much at moment)

I don't think its noisy bearing mine are a few month old bought back in March, I think its the bushing as mine are silent when sat down pedalling once you apply pressure stood up the right one clicks quite bad so pressure on worn bushing applying it then on to the bearing.

I just don't see why if you use sealed bearing why not just space them out one bearing each end this would stop a lot of the play in the pedals that develop over time and would be easier to service.
  • Just found this thread. New pair of Nano Xs and second ride the right side started clicking. Thought it was my bottom bracket at first but soon worked out it would only click when there was a load on the right pedal.

Swapped pedals and lo and behold no clicking. A bit annoying to say the least. Will get in touch with Superstar...
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sounds like they're not fit for purpose.

In contrast I have M520s one one bike and M540s on another and they are coming up for 9 years old and still flawless. Only serviced them once and that was out of curiosity rather than neccessity.