Trek Superfly 9.6 Model 2016with green stains in the frame

Gustago
Gustago Posts: 4
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello

I am new in the forum so I am not sure if I choose the right place.

I am desperately looking for help. I bought a bike (Trek Superfly 9.6 Carbon Model 2016). The bike was used I though the person who sold it to me was first owner as he said so, but I am afraid he was not and the bike might have some unknown issues.

The bike has some green stains in the frame, like paint is going out. I will add pictures,

Do anyone has an idea what this could be?
Have you experience any issue like this before?
Do you know if this can be cover by Trek warranty?

Any help is very welcome.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm pretty sure the warranty only covers the original owner.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Or just link to the pictures here.

http://road.cc/content/forum/190982-tre ... ains-frame
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Imagines from the link look like grease of some sort has gone through the top coat, doubt itll come out or affect the bike.
    As said warranty will cover the original owner with Trek's though. You could ask in an LBS if they have any ideas how to remove it, never know.
  • Gustago
    Thank you all for the reply I tried to remove it, but it seems the paint went off (At least looks like that), I will try to keep investigating and if you have any idea let me know
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Something, probably grease or an oil, has got into the carbon via and unprotected surfaced and wicked in slightly, doesn't affect the frames integrity, not much you can do about it.

Ride it and don't worry about it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gustago
    The Rookie wrote:
    Something, probably grease or an oil, has got into the carbon via and unprotected surfaced and wicked in slightly, doesn't affect the frames integrity, not much you can do about it.

Ride it and don't worry about it!

Thank you for the answer, yes I think you are right, last night I remove the handle bar and stem and yes that is a green grease inside, I never heard about the possibility a grease can cause this damage.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Reckon there's something wrong with that frame, I've never seen that happen on any frame (think I've had 9 carbon Treks, all built using fluorescent green Shimano grease), for it to have happened in multiple places on one frame... Very odd.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Anyone else find it odd that a 2016 bike is on it's third owner?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My Zaskar is the same in places, needs a good light to see it. Seems more in the lacquer vthan the carbon.
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    oodboo wrote:
    Anyone else find it odd that a 2016 bike is on it's third owner?

This would set alarm bells off for me. Although OP states they were lead to believe that the person they purchased it from was the original owner....
  • cooldad
    Who would presumably have the paperwork if it was that new. Not hard to check.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools