rear derailleur issue?

ickleric
ickleric Posts: 6
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
hi,

I have a Trax TFS.1 (halfords) mountain bike, it has Shimano gears. The other day my chain came off and got really jammed, i have got it back on but my rear derailleur isnt working now. It doesnt seem to sit in the correct position. I looked and it looks like the bolt to fix the rear derailleur to the frame doesnt have a hex/bolt to tighten/loosen the rear derailleur to try and fix it. The is just a flat surface, when i googled videos of how to remove the rear derailleur they all have hex screws but mine doesnt. Am i missing something???

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited May 2016
    Like this?

528341a

Can't see how it would ever have worked without the bolt? Is there a hole?

Or get one of these and you can fit a better, direct mount mech.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-Compat ... T3STFC6YEN
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The TFS1 usues a cheap steel rear dropout with no mech (dérailleur) hanger, the mech on your bike has a longer mounting with a horseshoe shape on the end that mounts in the dropout with the wheel.

the whole mech is rather flimsy and a derailed chain has probably bent something and needs bending back.

How yours mounts, this is the mech
    s-l1600.jpg

This shows how it mounts (although in this case hanger and mech are separate parts)
    $(KGrHqJHJEYE88dN!6rSBPY2tVGptQ~~60_1.JPG
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ickleric
    thanks guys for the replies, yes CoolDad that pic is of my bike. I will check what you guys said tonight, i'll try and take some pics if I can
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It will work without the retaining bolt until you take the wheel off.......then it falls off!

That said I think the bolt you are looking for is the pivot point between the mech and hanger section, yours coming as one part it has no bolt just a large mushroom headed rivet - just by the cable adjuster in the above pic.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ickleric
    hi,

managed to get it working better. took the derailleur off and back on again. Now when I have it in 1st gear the chain is quite tight, but in 6th its slack. (see pics.). Is it just a matter of tuning the gears??

http://postimg.org/image/79oo63ewr/

http://postimg.org/image/lq7sqavy3/
  • cooldad
    Can't see what chainring it is in, but if that's small/small you shouldn't be using those gears anyway. If it's middle small, the chain is too long.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ickleric
    not changed anything from new, so it should be the correct chain etc..
  • cooldad
    So what rings is it in?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ickleric
    what rings??
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Can't see what chainring it is in, but if that's small/small you shouldn't be using those gears anyway. If it's middle small, the chain is too long.
    Chainring cassette combo.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools