Advice please For A Newbie

swannys
swannys Posts: 9
edited May 2016 in Road beginners
Following my sons keenness to get into cycling, he and I bought new road bikes last September. I cycled years ago. I bought a Giant Defy 3 and it is excellent. Unfortunately I injured my back in December and have only recently got back in the saddle. Can't ride as much as I would like but did do my first 20+ mile ride at the weekend (not far I know but far enough for me). Planning on doing 30 miles a ride by the end of June.

My only gripe is the seat and numbness in the pelvic area. I have adjusted the seat so it isn't as numb as on the first rides and it could be arse just needs to toughen up!! That said I do wonder if I need a seat with the cut out in the centre.

Secondly pins and needles in my wrists - worse in the left. I need to ride upright as I am stiff / not very flexible. I flipped the stem and turned the handlebars a little. I bought the Defy 3 because of it relaxed position, my son has a Caad 8 but I could get anywhere near comfortable on one in my size. My guess is I need to alter the bars to relieve pressure on my wrists.

Finally tyres - the Giant Defy 3 and Caad 8 are both standard spec. What would be a reasonable tyre to use when I repkace those on both bikes.

Thank you

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Sore backside and some numbness of the hands is pretty much par for the course when you're first starting out.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Don't overlook tyres and tyre pressures - the wider the tyre you run the lower the pressure you need.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Wrists; sounds like it could be the angle you have your hands at, or you are putting more weight on them than you should (more likely) try and be light on them rather than resting your weight on the handlebars (core strength) I appreciate that with an injury it may be harder done than said, but you could be overcompensating (my physio's favourite line to me)

Numb bum can be normal, expected but pain is a different matter. Bib short quality, saddle choice all matter. Tyre pressure is worth a check (plenty of apps on the web to help out, give it a google)

Some of it will just require time in the saddle like any new activity it all hurts more when the body isn't use to it.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Re. the tyres look for tyres with a higher T.P.I. count, 110, 127, 180, 220, 320, Brands like Michelin, Continental, Schwarlbe, Vittoria, Panaracer there are others, and use 25c if there is clearance for them.
  • swanny65
    swanny65 Posts: 2
    Thanks all for your comments and assistance. Core strength (or weakness in my case) and over compensation was what my physio reminded me of on several occasions.
  • Rollett
    Rollett Posts: 37
    I did not read all the reply's, but make sure you are moving around. There are so many different positions to hold your bars and there is a reason for it! Don't be afraid to shift your bum around now and then as well, or do stretches while riding. I during a long ride I will some times stop and stretch my arms and back and legs, very refreshing! While riding I will also place one hand in the middle of the bars and move my arms around.