Fast aero wheels for flat races

neilr4
neilr4 Posts: 161
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
I`m looking for a set of aero carbon wheels for use in fast flat criteriums, not too concerned about braking surface or comfort as road is smooth tarmac and will only be used in dry weather on race days.

Will be using my trusted handbuilt alu wheels for everything else!!

I`ve never rode on carbon so any advice greatfully appreciated.

Neil.
'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    IME, there ain't a lot of real-world difference between any of them, so just buy a set that you like the look of that fits your budget....
  • neilr4
    I`ve been doing a bit of research and to be honest I can`t see the real world difference between a set of 2.5k reynolds aero 58`s and a set of 600 quid shimano R81`s :roll:
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    neilr4 wrote:
    I`m looking for a set of aero carbon wheels for use in fast flat criteriums, not too concerned about braking surface or comfort as road is smooth tarmac and will only be used in dry weather on race days.

Will be using my trusted handbuilt alu wheels for everything else!!

I`ve never rode on carbon so any advice greatfully appreciated.

Neil.

Have a look at Zuus wheels.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • imposter2.0
    neilr4 wrote:
    I`ve been doing a bit of research and to be honest I can`t see the real world difference between a set of 2.5k reynolds aero 58`s and a set of 600 quid shimano R81`s :roll:

So get the RS81s, although they don't exactly fall into the 'lightweight' category. If the wheels are for circuit races, then a set of PX CT45 or Carbon 50 tubs would be my choice. There are used sets usually on ebay...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    neilr4 wrote:

Get yourself the Reynolds, £2.5k is a lot but put it in perspective it could be the difference between 8th and 7th in one of those circuit races.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Get yourself the Reynolds, £2.5k is a lot but put it in perspective it could be the difference between 8th and 7th in one of those circuit races.

:lol::lol::lol:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Get yourself the Reynolds, £2.5k is a lot but put it in perspective it could be the difference between 8th and 7th in one of those circuit races.

:lol::lol::lol:

You're wishing you'd said that aren't you? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • imposter2.0
    I think we all wish we'd said it ;)
  • neilr4
    neilr4 wrote:

Little ammuses the innocent :roll: :roll:

Thanks for the opinions guys, I reckon zuus is the way to go for me!!

Neil.