Carry carbon bike to south of France

redscouse
redscouse Posts: 157
edited May 2016 in Road general
Lucky to be able to have holiday in languedoc region of France.. Driving there and she's letting me take my carbon canyon endurace..anybody had experience of using fork attached roof rack driving 7/800 miles.. Like this
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Peruzzo-Pordoi- ... _46313.htm

Or should I just get rear carrier..car I have has integrated roof bars
riding a canyon endurace
spesh allez

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not done that much in one go but hundreds. There's no problem with it. Just secure it to the car at services.

If you have a towbar put it there for less drag.
  • Mantas
    Mantas Posts: 33
    it seems like it's ok
  • captain_chaos
    captain_chaos Posts: 107
    Took 2 carbon fork bikes on a Focus estate using the Thule fork mounted carrier to France last year. 600 miles at 80mph - no problems apart from the significant increase in fuel consumption
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    redscouse wrote:
    Lucky to be able to have holiday in languedoc region of France.. Driving there and she's letting me take my carbon canyon endurace..anybody had experience of using fork attached roof rack driving 7/800 miles.. Like this

Luggage in roof box, bike inside car.
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    I'm taking my Trek Emonda to the Alps in 12 days time and just been through the options for taking the bike, wife and dog...

Bike in the boot, suitcases etc in rear footwells/seats, dog on rear seat, wife in passenger seat.
    I have the Thule 591 roof carrier, but the decreased fuel economy combined with potential bad weather (di2) and theft possibility makes the boot the best option.
    I luckily have a new Skoda Superb so the boot is huge and the rear footwells can accommodate loads of luggage. Sorted.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    wife on the roof?
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    edited May 2016
    redscouse wrote:

Luggage in roof box, bike inside car.

Winner!

I can get me, my missus, my daughter, a fair bit of luggage, and 2 adult bikes in the car for a 2 week holiday in Europe, and then everything else in the roofbox - if you get lucky with a deal, and cashback\BC Discount, there are some good deals, landed a 470 litre (I think it was) Halfords Exodus thing for £160, well worth the cash.
    http://www.halfords.com/motoring/roof-bars-roof-boxes/roof-boxes/exodus-470l-roof-box-grey

And I have a big estate car by way, but bikes fit really well with saddles off, and front wheels off, rear wheels up against the a front seat, and secured to the grab handle, mounting points within the car, using soft not damaging restraining items!

Enjoy, sounds lovely - off to Poitou Charentes ourselves in a few weeks, and then off again to house sit in September.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Last year I took mine to The Jura and Cote d'Azur in a bike bag in the roofbox.I have a towbar mounted carrier but didn't want to leave the bike unattended on the Ferry even locked to the carrier.It also means I can leave the car at services etc without constantly checking the bikes are still there 8)
    We're doing the Cote d'Azur and Italian Lakes next year and I'll be taking 2 bikes(mine and my sons) and will put them both in the roofbox.Car is an Insignia Estate but with 2 adults and 2 kids plus luggage for 2 weeks they won't go in the boot :roll:
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    I've got two of those racks, they're clamped inside my van to carry bikes about. Great bits of kit.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    Don't forget to fill up with petrol before you go... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36358300

I've done several trips to SE France with bikes on a towbar-mounted carrier, and even that adds quite a bit to the consumption at higher speeds. On the plus side they get little buffeting behind, and you don't need to worry about low car decks on the ferries.