Random querie on chain drop.

stoveman
stoveman Posts: 125
edited May 2016 in Road beginners
Currently got a Bianchi Oltre XR1 running a veloce 10 speed chainset,as a precaution I fitted a chain stay protector as I I remember having one on my old bike many years ago.
Got back from a ride today and noticed some oil on the helicopter tape I fitted to the chain stay where the chain had obviously touched it at some point.

Can someone enlighten me as I am wondering what causes it,and I'm wondering if I am not shifting gears as smoothly as I could be.

Cheers,

Phil.

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    stoveman wrote:
    Can someone enlighten me as I am wondering what causes it,and I'm wondering if I am not shifting gears as smoothly as I could be.
    The chain bounces up and down, even if you're riding on billiard table smooth roads - it's either excess oil being flung from the chain or the chain is just catching your stay. Nothing much to worry about either way. Smooth gear changing, while a good idea, will not remedy this.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Chain slap. A pot hole gives your stays a good whack if big enough.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Changing from the big to the small ring also causes is especially if your on the smaller cogs on the rear. Nothing to worry about and will happen even with a brand new chain.