novatec D732SB hub

hocombewood
hocombewood Posts: 7
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
hi, I have bought some carbon wheels from china with the above rear hub. when fitting it today, I coudlnt work out why the wheel was impossible to pedal round , until I took it all off and noticed that the spindle is somehow locked to the hub, so the free hub turns as it shoudl but oncce clamps in the frame the spindle cannot rotate so nor can ther wheel.

Does anyone have any quick things to try. I am running shimano kit, and noticed that the hub appears to be for Campag kit and the 722SB is the shimano offering, but the shimano 11 speed cassette fitted perfectly. i've now taken the cassettee off to check things out.

I know it is a risk buy from the far east, but before I find a manual and take it all apart, I thoguht I would ask here.

many thanks in advance.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    AFAIK the freehub splines and lockrings are totally different and not compatible.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    You should be able to find the correct feehub - they are very common hubs.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sorry guys my poor explanation, the free hub is fine, the axle is locked to the hub somehow and cannot rotate. I just took and end cap off and there was a rigfht bodge or a spacer behind it, looked like it had been made with someones teeth, so the avle will not rotate in the hub is the problem.

any ideas now ?
  • cooldad
    Pictures might be easier than explaining.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • thanks, it will be hard in photos, so I have uploaded a video here, you can see the axle is locked to the hub, very odd. I guess maybe a bearing has seized or been damaged during assembly, although te outer ones I can see look ok.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fc0cphfcvsi23q8/058.MOV?dl=0

i hope it makes sense.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Are you sure the hub is genuine? I've head of fake Hope and DT Swiss hubs coming from China.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Remove the freehub and check the two bearings with your fingers.

Built if the little disc between the freehub and main hub is jiggered then that could well cause an issue like this.

|The video only shows what is happening which was easily understood, not why which is not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Novatec hubs are fairly robust IME - may have taken a knock in transit that has damaged the bearing?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..