10 speed chain

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited May 2016 in Road general
Just gone from a 9 speed group to 10 speed. Got the Ultegra 6701 due to being on offer and having good reviews. Didn't release until I nearly opened it that it's not a quick link chain.

I'm looking to swap for either KMX X10 and Tiagra 4601. Both around 15 quid. Would these be much worse quality than the Ultegra that Ive already got. If so, I'll stick with it

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    chatlow wrote:
    Just gone from a 9 speed group to 10 speed. Got the Ultegra 6701 due to being on offer and having good reviews. Didn't release until I nearly opened it that it's not a quick link chain.

I'm looking to swap for either KMX X10 and Tiagra 4601. Both around 15 quid. Would these be much worse quality than the Ultegra that Ive already got. If so, I'll stick with it

Why not just buy a Shimano compatible 10sp quick link and fit your Ultegra chain?

PP
  • chatlow
    aha, that was my next question.. so could I remove 4 links to get it the correct length then use a KMC quick link on this chain permanently instead of adding the pin back in? And would this cause any problems as it's a uni-directional chain?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It will be fine. I use Tiagra chains (cheap) on all my bikes and they are all joined with KMC links.
  • chatlow
    so why don't ultegra supply a quick link like most other chains do - instead they give you the extra pin to insert. And my idea to get a different chain like Tiagra would have been pointless as I think that 4601 chain only comes with the pin too.

Only link I have is sram 9 speed which won't work. Means I can't go and test out my shiny new group in the sunshine :-(

Will buy a 10 speed KMC link tomorrow.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Shimano chains come with pins not quick links. I thought that was generally known..?
  • chatlow
    Imposter wrote:
    Shimano chains come with pins not quick links. I thought that was generally known..?

I've always had KMC chains, so didn't know about this. Anyway, yeah google suggests Shimano offer the pin, but a lot seem to go with quick link instead.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    chatlow wrote:
    so why don't ultegra supply a quick link like most other chains do - instead they give you the extra pin to insert. And my idea to get a different chain like Tiagra would have been pointless as I think that 4601 chain only comes with the pin too.

Only link I have is sram 9 speed which won't work. Means I can't go and test out my shiny new group in the sunshine :-(

Will buy a 10 speed KMC link tomorrow.

Why? Buy it from Decathlon, you get 2 in a pack for £3.99 and, guess what, they're made by KMC (the 10sp chain is too and is actual a X10) 8)

Links: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/10-speed-cha ... 33615.html

Chain: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/10-speed-lig ... 80937.html
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    The Shimano pin is safer than a quick link, not sure what the fuss is about. I have used Shimano pins for over 10 years... insert it, snap it, wiggle the chain a bit, job done... would never swap them for those quick links you occasionally see broken and discarded at the side of the road
    left the forum March 2023
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've used the quick links for the last few years. They seem as reliable as pins to me. And if they DID snap - you could have a spare fitted within a minute anyway. A lot quicker than the pin ?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    A pin fitted properly might be "better" than a quick link, but I don't trust myself to fit the Campag pins in the ultra tight 11sp chain, and the 11sp quick links have worked fine for 4 years now. Always carry a spare link just in case, touch wood I've never yet needed it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you want to use it straight away, shorten it from the other end then join it with the pin as Shimano intend. Or am I missing something??

FWIW I've used KMC links with Shimano chains for years; it makes it much quicker / easier to whip the chain off when required. Although you should use a new link with a new chain, so that can make it dearer than a KMC chain which includes one. Thanks to brettjmcc for the heads up re the Decathlon chains and quick links; cheaper still!!
  • chatlow
    Will a sram 10 speed powerlink be okay to use with this ultegra 10 speed chain? Can get some in black quicker than the kmc quick links and same price