Shimano mineral oil

ade555
ade555 Posts: 216
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I just checked oil in my Shimano M445 Hydraulic Disc and I was bit surprised to see that the oil is yellow in color, now this could be down to aftermarket mineral oil, I don't have much problems with them apart from rear one where they just don't preform very well. Anyone seen this before?

Thinking about changing the oil for original shimano mineral oil.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As long as it's mineral oil it shouldn't make any difference. Presumably you bought them second hand?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ade555
    Well I own the bike for while now and just checked, so I hope is mineral oil. Maybe I should change it to proper shimano stuff?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No need, any mineral oil is fine, I use the Citroen stuff as you can buy it by the litre from Halfords and a litre costs about the same as a tiny Shimano pot.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ade555
    The only problem is I don't actually know if oil is mineral or not, don't have leaks or anything like that and brakes do work so I guess it must be fine in there.
  • cooldad
    The Citroen stuff is yellowish
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'm using Finish Line mineral oil in my Shimano brakes. That's a light green colour. Coul possibly look yellow after a year or two.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    The colour is just a dye, makes no difference. As others have said it's the same as Citroen stuff which is LHM and you can buy a litre for the same price as a small pot of Shimano stuff.
  • The Rookie
    If you aren't sure what's in there, go get a pot of LHM and do a full flush and bleed.

If you're anywhere near Leamington Spa I'll do it for nought for you.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ade555
    The Rookie wrote:
    If you aren't sure what's in there, go get a pot of LHM and do a full flush and bleed.

If you're anywhere near Leamington Spa I'll do it for nought for you.

Thanks for the offer but I'm a bit far.

Plan is to change it anyway, I own the bike for over year so could do with fluid change keep my mind at ease.

Thanks everyone for there input.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    When you talk about Citroen mineral oil, are you talking about 5W30 synthetic oil?
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    plugp7 wrote:
    When you talk about Citroen mineral oil, are you talking about 5W30 synthetic oil?

No - they're talking about LHM - it's a mineral oil used by some car companies for their hydraulic systems, not an engine oil. Citroen use it for their hydraulic suspension and maybe even their braking systems - can't remember, but a lot of people use it as an alternative to Shimano mineral oil because it's about a tenner for a litre from memory, but I did get rid of my trusty Citroen BX some years ago now...
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Horton wrote:
    plugp7 wrote:

No - they're talking about LHM - it's a mineral oil used by some car companies for their hydraulic systems, not an engine oil. Citroen use it for their hydraulic suspension and maybe even their braking systems - can't remember, but a lot of people use it as an alternative to Shimano mineral oil because it's about a tenner for a litre from memory, but I did get rid of my trusty Citroen BX some years ago now...

Thanks for that. Just ordered some off Ebay.
    £8.51 per litre. Result
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • The Rookie
    The Citoen hydraulic circuit powers the suspension, brakes and steering.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    The Rookie wrote:

That does ring a bell - I sold the old BX estate as it had a split octopus or something and leaked oil almost as fast as I could top it up - apparently it was a cheap part, but expensive to fix as they had to pull the engine out so I sold it to the garage for them to do as they wished... Like I say it was many many years ago...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Rookie wrote:

I had a Citroen BX with that system. Brilliant ride quality and Mega comfy seats but everything else about the car was terrible.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    No need, any mineral oil is fine, I use the Citroen stuff as you can buy it by the litre from Halfords and a litre costs about the same as a tiny Shimano pot.

That is interesting to know, thought you had to use shimano oil in the brakes.

Guess there's no difference in the makes of mineral oil you can buy.
  • cooldad
    Magura sell it as Royal Blood. A lot of trials riders use water instead.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools