Would I be an idiot (2 bikes, big price gap)

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
To buy the more expensive bike here

and Stevo and the other muddy lyrca lovers the answer is not yes ;0

Ok so the Date is buying me a bike and has said she would buy the one I was going to get myself when spare crudding funds appeared, however since then I've seen the FS Boardman and it looks pretty similar and would save her a few pennies (I don't really like people spending big on me unless it is the accountant)

So I wanted the Canyon but would it be more prudent to buy the Boardman given the cost difference? I just do trail centers and a bit of local hill/woods. Nothing crazy I am a delicate roadie after all.

Two bikes are Canyon Spectral Al 7.0 Ex and the Boardman Pro Fs 27.5.
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/spectral/2016/spectral-al-7-0-ex.html £2100
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/921-mtb-pro-fs-650b.html £1350 (BC Discount)

I don't need the Canyon delivery issue warnings, I am fully aware of the risk.

Except for the seat post (£250 ish to buy) the two bikes look pretty similar to me except the £750 price difference

Canyon:
Rear Shock; Rockshox Monarch RT
Fork; RockShox Pike RCSolo Air 150mm
Groupset; Sram 1x11 GX
Brakes; Sram Guide F200mm R 180mm
Seat post; Reverb Stealth
Wheels; Sram Roam 30

Boardman
RockShox Monarch RT air shock
RockShox Pike RC Solo Air - 140mm Travel
Sram 1x11 GX (except cranks are FSA Comet)
Sram Guide F180mm R160mm
Boardman own
Mavic XM319

Thanks for looking and any answers.
Flan
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Boardman. 750 quid buys a lot of trail park time.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Go for the Boardman. Spend some of the change on a riding skills course and days away riding.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    The answer is always yes, but you already knew that. More importantly would the £750 difference buy you £750 worth of 'favours' and how bad was the scratch?
    Seriously though, buy the Boredman just don't spend your days wondering if you should have bought the Canyon.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Other than the wheels and Reverb, the Boardman matches or better the Canyon in every area for me.

Buy it and get a Reverb and look out for some better wheels if it's an issue, you'll still get better than the Roam for less than the saving and have a spare set of reasonable wheels (or money from flogging them). I think the Boardman is better looking as well, but beauty etc. etc.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Flâneur
    Cheers ladies gents, I suspected the Boardman was the more pragmatic option, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

and V68 I'll have the lawyers draw up the rest of the agreement with her ;0 Scratch was a white line just below the door catch for the rear door. Looks a bit like a dog hair (from a white dog)
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    Or the Bird Aries ...

10sp starts at under £1500, SRAM NX1 starts at £1700ish ...

Good recent review on BikeRadar ...

http://shop.birdmtb.com/aeris.html
  • markross
    markross Posts: 2
    I was in the same predicament. Just bought the Boardman yesterday, although haven't had a chance to ride it properly, it seems very nice. I managed to get it for £1215 as well by waiting for the Halfords 10% flash sale (they do these quite often), then using British Cycling membership discount to get another 10% off. However, you may struggle to find it in stock anywhere - it took me a couple of weeks to find one, and I was checking the website for stock most days. Ended up having to do a 2 hour round trip to Halfords in Loughborough.
  • Flâneur
    Cheers Mark, if you get out in the near future and could pass on your thoughts it would be appreciated!
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy