new chainrings

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 848
edited May 2016 in Workshop
I have FSA Gossamer 52-36 crankset with 110 BCD. I want to change just the rings to go with my new group, the cranks and BB are in good condition.

Can I use any 110 rings or are there other factors to consider? I have seen a few since replacements from Ultegra/FSA and others, just want to be sure they will fit OK.

Thanks

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    check the arms (older rings and some brands still run 5 arms, new Shimano has 4 for instance)

About all the help I can be
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • chatlow
    Thanks. Think I'll be going for a straight swap, so another set of FSA 52-36 110 if I can find them, otherwise another brand. My original setup was 9 speed and the new group is 10, but been told it shouldn't be a problem.
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    I haven't tried them but i have heard good things about Praxis chain rings - apparently they are cold forged rather than machined and therefore stronger. There was a review recently that compared them very favourably with Shimano and put them ahead of FSA's own products.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    chatlow wrote:
    Thanks. Think I'll be going for a straight swap, so another set of FSA 52-36 110 if I can find them, otherwise another brand. My original setup was 9 speed and the new group is 10, but been told it shouldn't be a problem.

110 BCD rings will fit. You just need to check that you get 5 arm ones or 4 arm ones depending on what your FSA ones are.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • chatlow
    turns out it's quite difficult to get hold of FSA 36-52 chainring. Without spending what would be the same as say a tiagra 4700 crankset meh.

I've found a SRAM 36t chainring 11- 5 bolt.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sram-Road-Bolt ... +chainring

now to find a decent price 52t 110... :-/
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    TA Specialties and Stronglight also sell top quality rings at reasonable prices but personally I would just go with a new Shimano crankset, sell your FSA and probably end up spending less than just getting the rings. The Shimano rings just shift better than all others, last as long as anything out there, OEM replacement rings should be available for years, cranks are probably stiffer than your FSA for anything down to SORA or Tiagra level and you can get a different length arm if needed.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    TA Specialties and Stronglight also sell top quality rings at reasonable prices but personally I would just go with a new Shimano crankset, sell your FSA and probably end up spending less than just getting the rings. The Shimano rings just shift better than all others, last as long as anything out there, OEM replacement rings should be available for years, cranks are probably stiffer than your FSA for anything down to SORA or Tiagra level and you can get a different length arm if needed.

+1
  • chatlow
    thanks, I've found a BBB outer 52 for £26 and inner 36 sram for £16. Failing that, the tiagra 52-36 is £55! Don't need to replace cranks but very tempted to just get that instead, especially seeing as I have tiagra 4700 group already, bar the chain
  • chatlow
    Also - I am concerned that I would also need to replace BB if going from FSA Gossamer to the Tiagra 4700 cranks as they are recommended to go with Hollowtech BB, not the BB30 I have got.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    you'd need a new BB yes. if 110 bcd, I'd try TA chainrings, they are good enough ( I race regularly on mine!).
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    If you buy the Tiagra 4700 crank the simplest and easiest solution are BB30 to HT2 adaptors from Wheels Manufacturing. They slide into your existing bearings. Very quick to install. Require no tools just abit of grease.

If your frame is BB30A (wider) it will require BB30A to HT2 adaptors.
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    I found that buying shimano chainrings (110BCD) was marginally cheaper than buying a new crankset, but that was for 10 speed parts.