Suitable bike for London to Paris cycle challenge

Lucy.P
Lucy.P Posts: 8
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello...i hope someone can help. I've just recently signed up to a London to Paris bike ride in September...something i've wanted to do for many years now as a fundraising challenge. My training has been ok but could be better. When filling out my registration form for the event i gave details of my bike, health and fitness etc as was requested. A few days after submitting my registration form i received a call from the organisers (http://europeancyclingtours.com), the gentleman was very friendly and we had a lengthy chat about how my training was going at the moment and he discussed targets regarding my training i should be looking to achieve in the following months leading up to the ride - he even offered to forward a training plan for me, but the thing that he was most concerned with was the make and model of my bike that i was planning to use. It is a rather old bike which i have used for almost everything over the last few years from popping down the shops to riding at the weekends with friends and family. The gentleman explained that i should really look to upgrade to a bike more appropriate to long distance riding and that is a little lighter than my current bike. He pointed out that many riders who sign up for these type of events will likely have reasonably nice aluminium/carbon fibre bikes with gears suited to riding over long distances and up lots of hills. He did say to perhaps visit my nearest 'Bike Hut' by Halfords as they offer good bikes and the staff 'should' help me with my sizing and set up. Not knowing anyone who is really that 'ua fait' with this sort of thing i really would be grateful for any advice on this matter.
Many thanks

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    What bike do you have at the moment? Can you post a pic?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Is your bike a Hybrid flat bar or older steel frame road bike?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    oxoman wrote:
    Lad at work did it last year for works charity on a Trek Madone easily enough.

Isn't that the carbon bike Lance Armstrong used during his 7 year domination of the Tour de France? Hardly a chipper
    left the forum March 2023
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I did this route with another company a couple of years ago - there were people with all sorts of bikes, one or two were not the best, not entirely 'clunkers' as they clearly worked OK and were serviceable but not light and not road bikes - old cheapie 26" wheeled bikes, all sorts.

What sort of rides have you done so far? The hardest day is 60 miles and 1000m of climbing, not insignificant but not THAT hard. As long as your bike fits you properly and is mechanically OK then no reason why you should feel you have to buy a new one.

Of course, if you are enjoying your cycling then there is nothing like having a new shiny thing to encourage you!

What do you have right now, and what are the longest rides you have done?
  • igsta
    igsta Posts: 56
    Two options include a hybrid or a sportive bike. Hybrids have flat bars and will usually allow you to fit mudguards and pannier racks quite easily.

Sportive bikes are road bikes with drop bars, but with a more upright position than those road bike used in races. Examples include Giant's Defy or Cannondale's Synapse. These bikes might fit panniers or mudguards but quite often clearances are tight for mudguards even if they have fixings to attach these.

My first bike was a Giant Defy and its geometry is very forgiving, super over long distances and it goes fast when you want it to. It has fixings for mudguards (Defy specific).

If you post more details on what you expect from the bike we can help guide you further.
  • leemeh
    leemeh Posts: 16
    I did this ride a few years ago as a relative novice (very experienced hybrid rider but had never ridden a road bike let alone ridden more than 20 miles).

I did my ride on a Raleigh Gran sport. Was a Reynolds 520 steel frame, shimano 2300 groupset and I upgraded to Fulcrum 5 wheels. Was by no means a high end bike, very entry level and just before I went I decided to bump up the spec of my stock wheels as after 4 or 5 months of getting into it I had outgrown the wheels that came with the bike.

It did the job very well. It was a mixed group of ages and ability so I wasnt worried about keeping up with the pace. If you arent a major road bike enthusiast get yourself a bike set up as a tourer as it will be more comfy for you. Dont go crazy on the money, go in at an entry point that gets you a half decent tourer/road bike. Them as you grow with experience and fitness you might want to spend a few hundred quid upgrading wheels/groupset before you go

There are very few hills on the Ave Verde route. Steel frame worked for me.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Leemeh wrote:
    I did this ride a few years ago as a relative novice (very experienced hybrid rider but had never ridden a road bike let alone ridden more than 20 miles).

I did my ride on a Raleigh Gran sport. Was a Reynolds 520 steel frame, shimano 2300 groupset and I upgraded to Fulcrum 5 wheels. Was by no means a high end bike, very entry level and just before I went I decided to bump up the spec of my stock wheels as after 4 or 5 months of getting into it I had outgrown the wheels that came with the bike.

It did the job very well. It was a mixed group of ages and ability so I wasnt worried about keeping up with the pace. If you arent a major road bike enthusiast get yourself a bike set up as a tourer as it will be more comfy for you. Dont go crazy on the money, go in at an entry point that gets you a half decent tourer/road bike. Them as you grow with experience and fitness you might want to spend a few hundred quid upgrading wheels/groupset before you go

There are very few hills on the Ave Verde route. Steel frame worked for me.

Very good advice here
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    We really need to know what bike the OP has....
  • Lucy.P
    Hi, thankyou all so much for your responses.
    I have a Dawes Mohave bicycle. It has lots of gears but is not the most aerodynamic bike by any means and it is quite heavy. I think the gentleman at the company was concerned the bike is not designed for long distance touring and i would find the already demanding itinerary unnecessarily more of a challenge than it already is and i'm concerned that i don't want to be the one holding up everybody - i feel a little pressured now to seek another bike that will help me complete the challenge, which isn't actually a problem i'm quite happy to buy another bike as i will like to continue riding a lot more after the challenge - i just don't know which sort. When you look at their website all the bikes in the pictures look really amazing like the ones in races. The gentleman at the company suggested 'Bike Hut' at Halfords - i like this idea as i have no knowledge of bike jargon and i think going to a shop will be my preference then ordering something 'online' - does anyone think Bike Hut is a good place to go or is there somewhere else i should try?
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    If price is your main focus then BikeHut or Evan's cycles would be fine.

Many people on here (myself included) believe that buying from a local shop is a better way to go as you often get a more competent service and you'll get a relationship with the shop. I use Panagua Cycles in Hayes and I think they're great.

As for a bike suggestion I would say that something like the following would all be fine for a ride to Paris, I'm only suggesting a road bikes here as you're talking about efficiency and aerodynamics in your post.

£500 - http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... omens-bike
    Perfectly good bike, spec is the good side of entry level and gears are nice and easy to get you up hills.

£850 - https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-do ... e-EV244127 Better gears and brakes plus lighter

£1800 - https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV244990 Even better gears and really really light.

All of these bikes will have a similar geometry and get you there safe and sound.

Some Jargon Busting for you

Endurance road bike - more comfortable on longer rides, like going to Paris.
    Disc brakes - the newer option, and often better stopping in wet conditions. Also can be easier on the fingers.
    Geometry - the proportions of the bike that affect the way that you sit on the bike; affecting handling and comfort
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    You'll definitely find the challenge easier, and hence more enjoyable, on something lighter and more aero. My first bike was a Specialized Allez, which I still have and use. It cost me 800 quid at the time, sadly I've not stayed at that price point!

My advice would be to find a good local bike shop, as opposed to one of the big chain stores. You'll more likely find someone who knows what they are talking about and will spend time with you. For a good value and good performing bike you probably want to be looking at something like an aluminium frame with a carbon fork and either a Shimano 105 or sram force group set.

A bit more money gets you a full carbon frame (http://www.cyclist.co.uk/cannondale/sup ... 105-review), something like the link attached. Talk to the shop re gearing, most people run a compact and 11-28 gears on the bike, you can go wider at the back to make hills easier if you're just starting (11-32), the shop can help.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Take a boat
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    To be honest that sort of bike is not really the right tool for the job. Though you could do it, i think you would be a lot more comfortable - and so probably have more fun - on a road bike

With Respect I wouldnt go to Halfords or Evans but find a smaller bike shop (or two or three) and have a chat with one of the people that work there.

Halfords tend to be staffed by people with limited knowledge on cycling and Evans are a bunch of bloody charlatans (possibly some personal bias here) whereas a local bike shop will be someone you can develop a "relationship" with.

Whereabouts do you live? I'm sure someone on here can recommend a good shop.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    ...these auto links then...

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Halfords and Decathlon will give you the best value by miles - the Boardman and BTwin ranges from either will beat anything else for the money and are excellent bikes, not just value for money.

However, some Halfords dealers will have knowledgeable and helpful staff but many will have any old person from the shop floor serving you and even those with good people have muppets doing the job when those good people are off for the day or on lunch etc. The organisation is dire and they dont focus on customer care or quality control but there are some great people working there if you get lucky...

Evans not quite so bad but do suffer a bit for similar reasons - people working there as a part time job who are not necessarily enthusiasts and bothered about customer care.

But then again, I have had the same from small independant LBS. The two nearest me are very patchy and while they might be great on a good day, I have had and seen other people had shocking treatment at other times. This is what has forced me to watch youtube and learn to mechanic most things on my bikes over the years - by necessity rather than choice.

So you are not necessarily better/worse off with a small local shop as opposed to Halfords. Your odds may be a little better but you will also pay more for a bike with inferior specification.

If you dont need alot of help/customer care then I would go to Halfords or Decathlon every time.

Ideally, I would recommend you test ride a few bikes, maybe a few different types from road oriented hybrids to drop bar road bikes and see what you like. Halfords wont let you test ride properly - you need to be able to take the bike out on the open roads and have an hour or so at least in my opinion to assess how you feel on a bike. Evans are exceptionally good at this because for a deposit (that gets returned if you dont buy the bike) they will get just about any bike in any size and build it up for you. Local bike shops will give you a good test ride if they have the bike you want in the size you want but if not they usually make you buy the bike or at least pay a non-refundable deposit for it before they get it in and build it up for you to try.
  • Lucy.P
    So after taking in all your wonderful advice i went to my local bike shop and had a look around and chat...I discussed what i was planning to do and they were very helpful. They even 'sized' me when i was there and recommended some lovely bikes for me to look at. As i'm planning to use the bike for lots of things other than riding to Paris on in September with http://europeancyclingtours.com/london_to_paris/ like riding with family and around the town i really like the look of a 'sports hybrid' bike by the makers Giant. I contacted European Cycling Tours and told them i'd been to my local bike shop and how helpful they were with sizing ect and that i'd seen a bike i really like that came recommended by the bike shop. The gentleman at European Cycling Tours was very enthusiastic and delighted by the choice saying that a 'sports hybrid' bike is an excellent choice particularly as a utility bike for all sorts of different types of riding and that it would be absolutely fine to ride on their challenge to Paris on in September...i'm now the proud owner of a Giant Escape 1 and i got a deal on some innertubes and tyre changing tools, a new helmet and gloves...the bike shop were brilliant!
    I'd like to say a big thankyou to everyone who replied to my post and i'll let you all know how i got on :-) Lucy x
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Congratulations. A sports hybrid is a fine choice and the one you have chosen has clearance for wider tyres which also allows for some light off road, canal paths etc.

Good luck for your ride and enjoy soaking it all in!
  • A quick update to everyone :-D
    The big day came and with some trepidation I and a dozen or so other riders set off for Paris. My new Giant Escape bike was absolutely brilliant and i soon found i was keeping up ok with the group (which was brilliantly managed by our amazing cycle leader Jason at European Cycling Tours and once my confidence was up there was no stopping me. The gears i had worked really well and i was able to keep up with the boys most of the time on their super duper bikes and not having dropped handlebars made little if any consequence to my riding experience over the trip. Three days later we arrived in the Champs Elysee and the buzz was like nothing else i've ever experienced... it was absolutely brilliant!! I think i'm hooked! Now to sign up to another trip - especially with European Cycling Tours http://www.europeancyclingtours.com...they were so brilliant! - so well organised and the leadership and support was amazing and i think there were a few on the trip that probably wouldn't have completed the whole tour if it wasn't for their amazing support, motivation and guidance...highly recommended!
    Thankyou again everyone for your help in my search for a bike and i'm so glad i took the advice to talk to a local bike shop who were also brilliant who helped me finally find the bike that helped me achieve my dream.
    I can't thank you all enough x
  • Could I just mention 'european cycling tours' one more time?

Only if I am allowed to post another cyclespeed youtube video, maybe one where a bladed and a round spoke are tossed and the bladed travels faster... :wink:

Only if I am allowed to post another cyclespeed youtube video, maybe one where a bladed and a round spoke are tossed and the bladed travels faster... :wink:

yeah, that's a good one! But at least I'm not making a secret of it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Nice work Lucy. We like happy endings.
  • It’s only a happy ending if you book a trip with European Cycling Tours (their website is at http://www.europeancyclingtours.com). Ask for Jason or Lucy.