Advice on tyre choice

old codger
old codger Posts: 186
edited May 2016 in MTB general
Hello,
I have suffered with back ache for a long time (years),before giving up totally i tried a 29" hardtail with knobbly tyres and the back ache diminished,but then i found the rolling resistance and noise from the tyres quite harsh,so i opted for a fast road tyre firstly to get more speed and secondly for the road noise.The tyres are the spesh Fatboy's pumped up to maximum (70psi) but annoyingly my back ache has come back.
So are there any fast road tyres out there what i can use and retain the plushness on the rear end as im sure its this single factor that as relieved it.
Your thoughts and experiences please.

Thankyou.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You could try a summer xc tyre like a Schwalbe Racing Ralph.
  • petriodet
    petriodet Posts: 44
    not sure tyre choice is necessarily going to solve this, i would recommend reducing the pressure in the rear which will allow the tyre to flex more, a bigger tyre will also help but i would try the free thing first.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    70psi is pretty high for a high volume tyre, as suggested try reducing the pressure - rock hard tyres often don't roll any faster because its often the roughness of the road surface that is the determining factor and they simply transmit more vibration.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • old codger
    Thanks for the replies,
    Ill try 60psi first and possibly go down to 50psi.

Cheers.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    50/60psi is still rock hard for an MTB tyre.

Why not go to the minimum, see if it eliminates the back pain and work upwards?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Peat wrote:
    50/60psi is still rock hard for an MTB tyre.

Why not go to the minimum, see if it eliminates the back pain and work upwards?

I would suggest the same, i run my MTB tyres at 40psi for off road riding due to personal preference and weighing 16 stone. They are far from soft, too hard means alot of trail / road vibration.
  • old codger
    Just a quick update,i tried 60psi in both and it was a lot better,going to try 55psi next time out.

Big thanks.