SDW tyres

pylwagl
pylwagl Posts: 35
edited May 2016 in MTB general
I am planning to ride the length of the South Downs Way during summer on my Stumpjumper hardtail (26"). It is currently fitted with 26 x 2.1 Trailrakers. I have found these to be great tyres but cant help thinking that tyres with lower rolling resistance might be helpful. Something like Nobby Nics might be ok but I am a bit concerned about their ability to cope with sharp bits of flint etc.
any suggestions?
TIA

Comments

• petriodet
    petriodet Posts: 44
    Nobby nics should ok , i personally use maxxis ardents on sdw during the summer.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I fitted Bonrager XR1s to do it - would've used Thunder Burts, but too likely to get a flat. Want to have another go and do it quicker, may take a chance on Burts.

Trail Rakers are an aggressive mud tyre, assuming it's dry I can think of nothing worse! Ralphs would be better than Nics, get Snakeskin.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Best tyre option is tubeless - have ridden it numerous times in all conditions from CX to fatbike. On one group ride the guy with tubes got five punctures, the four running tubeless got none. Wouldn't go for a tyre with ultralight sidewalls that slice easily either.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..