Finally went clipless. Really pleased.

jamski
jamski Posts: 737
edited May 2016 in MTB general
So having not riden for a few months, I decided to go clipless to get myself back into things. The red routes at Swinley threw me about a little too much of the flats so wanted to feel more secure.

Didn't want to spend heaps in case I didn't like it, and wanted a pedal with a platform so I can ride without spd shoes for short distances but mainly to be able to un-clip but still have a half decent surface to pedal on for trickier sections.

Went for the Shimano MT34 shoes in black. Not the stiffest but that's what I wanted. Still able to walk easily enough, really comfy shoe. Pedals I went for the Shimano M424, not much more to say about those. Does the job, seems solid enough, cage works well. Feels just like a flat when clipped in.

Have kept them fairly lose to start with, but I haven't come un-clipped yet, and can get out in an emergency.

I'd highly recommend both these having ridden twice. About £60 all in so for a spd beginner is great value.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod115133

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... p-prod7808
Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two

Comments

• chrisdouglas
    chrisdouglas Posts: 114
    Credit to ya mate, I have not got the nuts for that! I'm quite happy with my flats.

I do use clipless on my commuter/road bike but on trails I really like to be able to shift about and know that should I have to I can jam my feet down in emergency. On the road this feels redundant as its likely I've got bigger problems.

A friend of mine went clipless too, said it was gonna be all the rage and the way to go, made it 50 yards up the first climb and fell over ha ha I can see the benefit but I'm really not interested myself yet.
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Clips are the only way to go. So much better over technical trails and really rough ground.
    The only time I'll use flats now is for freeride. As I've found out, you can't bail on dirt jumps when you're clipped.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    So much better over technical trails and really rough ground.

For you, not for everyone.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Briggo wrote:
    So much better over technical trails and really rough ground.

For you, not for everyone.

For anyone who can make it work. Clips allow you to pedal in places where it's impossible on flats because you'll just get your feet bounced.
    Go to a downhill race and you'll see the entire elite category and top half of expert category on clips because it's faster. No one has won a downhill WC race on flats in years.
  • jamski
    Everyone's different and I've used flats for a while now, but was just getting bounced about a bit over more extreme bits. I'm not a jumper at all, but also think clipless will give me more confidence over them, I like the thought of being attached to the bike. :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    I prefer clips over smaller and high speed, larger jumps like road gaps.
    Don't like them over dirt jumps or big step ups. Anything with a lot of hang time.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Clips are the only way to go. So much better over technical trails and really rough ground.
    The only time I'll use flats now is for freeride. As I've found out, you can't bail on dirt jumps when you're clipped.

Ride both, prefer flats. Rode clipless for years, they are good but the modern MTB shoes and flats are just as good if not better in some ways.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I also have both. I have a set of Saint pedals and AM45 shoes. I still use them for freeride sessions but that's all.
    For downhill racing, I can't get close to my times clipped in. I'm loosing out in sprinting, speed through rock gardens and pedalling over really rough sections. On One of the short FoD tracks it's a 5-6 second difference, which is huge on a one minute track.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Just accept its not for everyone.
  • chrisdouglas
    chrisdouglas Posts: 114
    I also have both. I have a set of Saint pedals and AM45 shoes. I still use them for freeride sessions but that's all.
    For downhill racing, I can't get close to my times clipped in. I'm loosing out in sprinting, speed through rock gardens and pedalling over really rough sections. On One of the short FoD tracks it's a 5-6 second difference, which is huge on a one minute track.

That's awesome man but it's still not for me. I'm not in it for beating times and stuff, I just wanna have fun and I have fun on my flats all the same. No doubt you're having fun too but in your own way which is cool :cool:
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404

I'm not a down hill racer, not sure OP is either???
  • jamski
    JGTR wrote:

I'm not a down hill racer, not sure OP is either???

I am.........

...... in my head. In reality I'm a slightly chubby 33 year old, but I'm pretty sure I look awesome! ;)
  • rockmonkeysc
    jamski wrote:

...... in my head. In reality I'm a slightly chubby 33 year old, but I'm pretty sure I look awesome! ;)

Doing better than me then. I'm tubby and 37
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've only ever ridden offroad clipped, just like the feeling.

Svelte when I look in the mirror (without my glasses) and 49.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I've tried clipless but just last weekend reverted to flats. Too many slow motion falls on steep climbing sections, too many times wanting to put my inside foot down (or at least extend it) to compensate for my poor riding skills. Can't see me going back unless my talent develops in a way which would be unimagineable.

Ride spds on the road bike though, no troubles there. YMMV.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Sometimes on a local leisurely ride I use flats and appreciate the freedom of wearing normal shoes, but prefer the security of SPD's for proper riding.
    BTW "clipless" is a very confusing term for those not brought up with old fashioned toe clips! When was the last time you saw anyone riding with them? To me riding with SPD's and shoes is about as clipped in as you can get!
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo