New bike, something comfy.

s1mon
s1mon Posts: 618
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Recently sold my TCR Advanced 2 (2012) model and to be honest didn't use it much in the last year, kind of miss it now so looking for a replacement but want something more comfy as I did find the TCR a harsh ride and could never get very comfy on it no matter what I tried.

I've had few Giant bikes so I was looking for something different but now seen the Defy Advanced Pro 2 but more than I'd like to spend, is it worth it or is the others out there I should be looking at ?

Should I go for disc brakes ?

I always prefer something with a sloping top tube as well, purely looks !

Thank you.

Comments

• Canyon Endurace, 25mm tyres, long headtube.

From what I've seen the past year or so disc breaks are good for people who are not too confident on the bike and have limited bike handling skilz
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    Cannondale Synapse would be my personal recommendation.

Mine has Sram Rival with hydraulic discs, has taken a bit of getting used to, but very pleased with it.

So comfy I still have not gotten around to putting bar tape on!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mason5697
    mason5697 Posts: 63
    Don't know how it compares to the tcr, but I recently bought a Propel advanced pro 2. It's aero. Fast, but I've never felt uncomfortable on it at all. My first road bike tho, so nothing to compare it too road wise. Feels just as comfy as my boardman team hybrid, if not better
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    At that price range test ride a few bikes to be sure. Hydraulic disc brakes take less effort to use and have more control / power over braking. If it is dry , on a good road surface with a light weight rider the difference is less. In the wet , on a poor / loose road surface with a heavy rider the difference is very noticeable. Look on YouTube for "gcn cycling disc brake " where they compare disc v rim.
  • Cannondale Synapse for me all day long, no matter your price range the level of comfort is immense. My first was an alloy one with Tiagra group set and disc brakes, had no comfort issues and also no back/knee issues with it whatsoever. Have since upgraded to a carbon model due to a windfall but it was a no brainer for me to go for another Synapse