Do I need new chainrings (pics)

seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 950
edited May 2016 in Workshop
So im waiting on my new chain arriving because it was slipping/skipping on the chainrings. Does it look like my chanrings need replaced? they only have 1200 miles on them but im hoping I get another 800 - 1k miles on them. I have attached my cassette too but it looks fine to me.

ps I know they all need a good scrub.

cranks3_zpse2pwidoi.jpg

cranks2_zps6f1aayng.jpg

cranks1_zpsyoaw3cmn.jpg

cassette2_zps8xzkkrov.jpg

cassette3_zpsqm7sh9bq.jpg
Cube Attain SL Disc
Giant CRS 2.0

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    A chain should last around 3,000 miles. A cassette should last 3 chains. Chainrings should last longer than this.

From what I can see they look fine. Why do you expect your Chainrings to last only 2,000 miles?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2016
    No. 1200 miles is nothing for chainrings. They will last 5x+ that. The cassette and chain will wear out before the chainrings do. If they were all new.

The skipping may have been from the worn chain or cassette, bent chainring, poorly adjusted derailleur, unseated wheel, loose chainring bolts, loose crank, loose cassette/hanger/RD/jockey wheels/cable or damaged chain. So worth checking those.

If the cassette is really worn. The new chain will skip on it.

But your cassette also looks fine to me.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    edited May 2016
    Don't want to ruin your day but it's unlikely to be jumping on the chainrings, they look ok, worn but not toasted. Far more likely to be jumping on the cassette and you most likely find when you put a new chain on this will get worse because the cassette is also worn out.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Nope - they're fine.
  • seanorawe
    drlodge wrote:
    A chain should last around 3,000 miles. A cassette should last 3 chains. Chainrings should last longer than this.

From what I can see they look fine. Why do you expect your Chainrings to last only 2,000 miles?

Just because all of the internet forums are saying if the chain is skipping I have probably done damage to the chainrings or cassette and its wise to change them at this stage?

THis is why I always post on this site, you get proper answers (sometimes)
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Don't believe what you read on Internet forums!! Its more likely the cassette is worn, but it looks OK to me. Try the new chain and if its still skipping, it must be something else. Is the rear derailleur properly indexed, as if its out a tad e.g. due to cable stretch, this can cause the chain to skip especially in low gears when going up hill.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    look good to me.

in over 20 years i've rarely replaced a chainring due to wear and then it's either an inner road chainring or middle MTB
    (no, I don't ride 20,000 miles a year admittedly)
  • seanorawe
    drlodge wrote:
    Don't believe what you read on Internet forums!!.

Ok, ill ignore everything you just said :wink::lol:
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    Have you also checked that you don't have a stiff link in your chain ... I had a stiff link in mind recently after impact from a stone and it caused horrendous skipping ... and that was about 20 miles after fitting a new chain / cassette and it was running like a dream until that point.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    as others have already said they're fine the chainrings has tiny bit of wear and the cassette is peachy

what's the chain like? that's always going to be the first part to wearout.

when you say 1200 miles is that for this drivetrain or the whole bikes? if its the bike you most likely just have some cable stretch and need to reindex the rear mech, there's plenty of youtube videos and a whole section here on BR.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.