Family holiday in Gran Caneria

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited July 2016 in Road general
Hi all
Contemplating a holiday with the family that is, me , Emma and Grace (11 year old ) , want to cycle a couple of hours a day
Went to port pollenca on the advise of BR forum members a couple of years ago and had a great time , I would go back but "they" fancy a change.
Any advise on where to stay , if GC is a good cycling/holiday destination. anything relay , would be helpful.
thanks in advance.
regards
Mark

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've been to GC a couple of times, stayed at the Meliá Tamarindos in San Augustin. Fairly nice "5*" hotel, a bit dated on the inside but its one of only a few hotels that backs onto the beach. I think your problem with GC will be finding a decent route that's only 2 hours long as there are only a few roads to choose from. You have 2 options - either cycle along the coast and back, or head in land which involves a climb, and a fairly big one at that.

Perhaps look around the Maspalomas area, then you've got
    - the coastal route to La Playa de Mogan
    - GC503/504 loop via Ayagaures, easier anticlockwise, harder clockwise
    - if you can stretch to it, the GC505 to Soria.
    - the GC-605 north of Mogan is arguably the best road of them - go up multiple hair pins then at the top you can hang a right and head back down past Soria.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    Oh, and bike hire at Freemotion cycles, its cheap as chips. Cannondale Synapse with 34x32 is what I hired.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Hi all
    Contemplating a holiday with the family that is, me , Emma and Grace (11 year old ) , want to cycle a couple of hours a day
    Went to port pollenca on the advise of BR forum members a couple of years ago and had a great time , I would go back but "they" fancy a change.
    Any advise on where to stay , if GC is a good cycling/holiday destination. anything relay , would be helpful.
    thanks in advance.
    regards
    Mark

To be honest, I'm questioning your forum name....what's poor Emma done not to be loved... :wink:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,245
    drlodge wrote:
    I think your problem with GC will be finding a decent route that's only 2 hours long as there are only a few roads to choose from.

Agree with that - unless you just go out and back obviously. The stretch along the coast to link up a circular route will always add at least an hour onto any ride if you go up inland on one road from the main resorts and back down another.

I've stayed in Puerto Mogan a couple of times in the last year but only hired a bike once (injury prevented second time). It's a bit quieter than the other resorts but does have a branch of Freemotion where I hired a Synapse as well.

The riding is great if you enjoy hills. The road west of Mogan is beautiful (and hilly) as well as the inland road up from Mogan to Ayacata which is stunning. Descent through Fataga to Maspalomas is amazing, I imagine it's equally good to climb that way.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    edited May 2016
    SheffSimon wrote:
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Hi all
    thanks in advance.
    regards
    Mark

To be honest, I'm questioning your forum name....what's poor Emma done not to be loved... :wink:

+1 :cry: Also. not sure that many of the roads out there are suitable for family bimbles. If Emma and Grace and confident, regular cyclists than maybe...
  • drlodge
    I think Grace is his 11 year old bike.
    Find me on Strava
  • MikeBrew
    http://www.free-motion.com/en/gran-cana ... n-canaria/

Some of the free motion mountain bike tours might be suitable. Basically they bus you and the bikes up the mountain, you ride around and down - then get bused back. The coast roads really don't lend them selves to family cycle groups with children, and all roads inland go up steeply.

If I was you I'd give Freemotion a ring and tell them what you have in mind. They all speak excellent English(Though will answer the phone initially in Spanish), and will be able to give advice based on your needs. Be sure and hit the little union jack on the top right on the web site home page to get the English version.

They also rent hybrids/ town bikes if you just want to bimble around the resort. Maspalomas would be a good area to stay for this as it's flat and has fairly quiet roads.
  • ilovegrace
    Hi Chaps
    Thanks for the info.
    To be honest, Emma and I have been engaged for 15 years and i am not sure if she is "the one yet"!
    However, Grace our daughter , has just come in from school in a big time mood so the username may be changed very soon.
    I love the hills and climbs and can push to 3 hours (just need to be back for breakfast).
    Would you say this destination fits my brief or should i look elsewhere ?
    - There was a suggestion for Annecy a couple of years ago along with thr Port pollensa recommendation , I chose PP for the Bike hire , could not see anywhere in Annecy.
    That is why your suggestions are very much appreciated , people in the know , know.
    keep them coming
    regards
    ILG and E
  • drlodge
    If you can stretch to 2-3 hours I'd say its fine. You've got most of the options I mentioned above open to you, plus you could get up the GC-60 to San Bartolomé de Tirajana and back. Morning is great as its cooler and your pace will be faster than when it gets hot. I cycled in 28 degrees heat and the sun beating down, its was quite draining.
    Find me on Strava
  • MikeBrew
    For you, the island will great cycling-wise. Two hour rides with the other half and an 11 year old - the roads don't really suit, that well. However, this route near to Maspalomas would be OK, It's a loop of a very quiet valley.
    http://www.free-motion.com/en/gran-cana ... Btc%5D=100
  • drlodge
    @ilovegrace just to be clear - are you intending to cycle alone or with the others?
    Find me on Strava
  • ilovegrace
    Sorry , no the other two will not walk any further than necessary let alone cycle for two + hours !
    regards
    ILG
  • MikeBrew
    In that case I'd say go for it. There's quite a few out and backs you can do from Maspalomas given 2-3 hours. I stayed in Puerto Mogan once and found it very limited for routes when you have time constraints..
    The Monte Leon route, I've occasionally done before breakfast then again before super, - leaving the day free for other stuff....Then there's Fataga, Soria , out and back to Puerto Mogan along the very undulating coast road... And if you can get a one day pass, do one of the longer group rides with Free Motion for 20 euro...
  • mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
    I can highly recommend Seaside Sandy Beach, the food and service is second to none, we have been there for the last 3 years and are probably going back next year, apart from cycling and a morning walk we hardly left the place. All inclusive is worth it if you like a drink.

Freemotion has a branch at the base of this hotel, they do a selection of instructor led rides, for which you pay, but they have the routes online I believe. As others have said, go inland and you go up.

HTH
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Also very interested in GC having done Majorca this year so rather than start a new thread I thought I would jump in here if ILG doesn't mind?

We would like to go over the Christmas holidays so I'm assuming weather should be ok for the family for a bit of sunbathing etc when I'm out on the bike?

Has anyone recommendations for hotels along the south of the Island and ideally close to a free motion hire shop so I can narrow our search a little?

Many thanks
  • dazz_ni45 wrote:
    Also very interested in GC having done Majorca this year so rather than start a new thread I thought I would jump in here if ILG doesn't mind?

We would like to go over the Christmas holidays so I'm assuming weather should be ok for the family for a bit of sunbathing etc when I'm out on the bike?

Has anyone recommendations for hotels along the south of the Island and ideally close to a free motion hire shop so I can narrow our search a little?

Many thanks

It will be warm and sunny average 22 degrees
    H10 Meloneras Palace
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 wrote:

Many thanks

H10 Meloneras Palace

Looks fantastic but unfortunately out of budget during Christmas :(
  • ilovegrace
    "I would jump in here if ILG doesn't mind? "
    No problem here . the more the merrier.
    regards
    ILG
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    Recently back from Gran Canaria.

Great riding, but the roads aren't really the same flavour as Mallorca, if that's what you are expecting. The roads are much more extreme. The driving manners are great, though.

For family sun, Maspolomas and area are the way to go. The north is beautiful, but its (a) where we stayed to get away from the hoards of satan and (b) wet. All the crappy tacky stuff that kids will pester you for is near Maspalomas as well. Oh and there is a gay nudist area of sand dunes, if you need an educational day out.
  • ilovegrace
    Hi FA
    The roads are much more extreme.
    A little unsure about your meaning ?
    regards
    ILG
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    If you enjoyed cycling in Majorca (and who wouldn't?), but the family want a change, why not stay in or around Palma?

Completely different to Port Pollensa, far more to do and see, especially for other halves.

I have almost achieved marital bliss / harmony, in that I can cycle whilst the wife and 2 daughters (13 and 17) shop till they drop in Palma, have tasty lunches, visit galleries, museums, etc.

There are superb apartments to rent in old town Palma that are excellent value, or you can get a good hotel deal if you go out of the centre a bit.

Food, nightlife, etc. like Barcelona, i.e. excellent.
  • ilovegrace
    If you enjoyed cycling in Majorca (and who wouldn't?), but the family want a change, why not stay in or around Palma?

Completely different to Port Pollensa, far more to do and see, especially for other halves.

I have almost achieved marital bliss / harmony, in that I can cycle whilst the wife and 2 daughters (13 and 17) shop till they drop in Palma, have tasty lunches, visit galleries, museums, etc.

There are superb apartments to rent in old town Palma that are excellent value, or you can get a good hotel deal if you go out of the centre a bit.

Food, nightlife, etc. like Barcelona, i.e. excellent.
    Stop it BB
    Already confused , or to put it in the way of a colleague at work when the pressure is on , "me heads bursting!"
    thanks though , will put that to the holiday committee later on tonight.
    regards
    ILG
  • ilovegrace wrote:
    Hi FA
    regards
    ILG

Most hire bikes come with a 34x32 or 34
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Hi FA
    regards
    ILG

Most hire bikes come with a 34x32 or 34
    Steeper climbs, longer climbs, road surfaces a bit variable.
  • drlodge
    The coast to summit climb is 30 miles and over 2,500 metres ascent. It was hot when I did it, and on one steep section I had to pause even with a 34x32. The scenery is like a mini grand canyon. Average speed was around 12mph.
    Find me on Strava
  • MikeBrew
    Quite good video from Youtube gives a bit of feel for the place https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4PgmSM9tyY Ignore the clouds in the first few minutes, it's usually clear blue skys.
  • dazz_ni45
    Have just got the green light to go so our dates are 18 - 26 December. Just need to decide between Puerto de Mogan and Playa del Ingles as I would like to be close to the Free Motion hire shop. We prefer quieter resorts with nice restaurants so I am leaning towards Mogan however bit worried there won't be enough to do with a 5 year old and 1 year old when I am away cycling.
  • drlodge
    More cycling options from Playa del Ingles but its busier but also lots more around and to do. Puerto de Mogan is quite a bit smaller. You do have the "serenity" climb close to Puerto de Mogan though and I wouldn't mind doing that every day :D
    Find me on Strava
  • ilovegrace
    dazz_ni45 wrote:

Many thanks

H10 Meloneras Palace
    Checked out this hotel last night , very nice , and expensive !
    regards
    ILG