Specialized Allez elite v Giant defy 1

Echo35
Echo35 Posts: 3
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I'm looking at getting a new bike and have got it down to between the Specialized Allez Elite and Giant defy 1. I haven't ridden either yet as its hard to get to a shop and will probably be ordering online but was hoping for some advice and help to decide.

I love the Allez frame but the defy comes with a slightly better set up, but both score the same on bike radar review.

Please help thanks

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    The Allez is lower and longer than the Defy, so you need to decide which geometry suits you/or you prefer. The Allez is 10sp 4700 the Defy 11sp 5800, though not the full groupset.

The most important thing is to go to a shop/s and look at them sit on them and try them if they will let you. Buy the one you prefer the look of and fits you is the advice when stuck between a choice of bikes. 11 speed is nice to have, however you can get by with 10speed if you decide on the Allez.

Defy 1 Med.
    Stack 56.7cm
    Reach 37.7

Allez Elite 54
    Stack 54.7cm
    Reach 38.7
  • Echo35
    Echo35 Posts: 3
    Thank you for that. I am going to try and get to a shop this week and test ride them both. I'm still swaying towards the Allez Elite as most of the rides I will be doing is out with friends but I have a 100 mile challenge at the end of the year.
    If anyone has either and can let me know what they are like to own that would be a would be great.
  • guy.spartacus
    guy.spartacus Posts: 321
    The Allez won't make it harder or easier to ride further - in fact, it might make it more uncomfortable with the racier position
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    I can only tell you about the pre-defuse frame bike as I own a 2013 Defy 0 Aluxx SL 10 speed. I find it a comfortable bike to ride up to distances of 60-70miles, which is what I do regularly. I have made a changes, including a different saddle, change of crank length and most recently a set of 23mm wide wheels, which with new tyres and adjustments in tyre pressure has made it more compliant on bad road surfaces.

The bike is very stable and easy handling/confidence inspiring, good if you are new to road bikes, climbs and descends well, though can be ridden quickly if you get down on the drops and is a reasonable weight for an aluminium bike. Although it is Giant's endurance bike, shorter top tube, longer head tube, you can slam the stem to lower the handle bars if you wish.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I have a much older Allez that's comfortable for me - I've replaced the groupset from the 8 speed setup it came with - it's now on 10 speed - TBH there's no great difference - just a greater selection of gears in a very similar range.

I'm lucky to be comfortable on the standard saddle and flexible enough to have dropped the stem down a bit on the bars. 60-70 miles is no problem on this one - I've done 85 miles on it - but since then I bought a carbon frame bike which I use for the longer rides.

I've got a shorter top tube bike too - it felt too short so I put a longer stem on it - being a utility bike it's much more relaxed geometry and it shows - I've done some long rides on it though (rack and pannier stuff) and it's comfy - just not quite as quick as the roadbike.

Try them both and see which feels better to you ...
  • 4AM
    4AM Posts: 13
    Can only speak for the Defy, but mine is very comfortable for longer rides. The endurance geometry means it's less "head down and hammer" and more "get comfy and keep spinning" which suits me as I'm old and fat and only trying to keep up with my mates. I also like the fact your can fit proper mudguards for winter. I think if you wanted a more direct comparison in the Spesh range it would be a Roubaix.

All I would say about the Defy (and I think this tends to be a trait with most Giant's) is that they use basic calipers and their own wheels/tyres to keep prices competitive. I've upgraded both and saved almost 800 grammes by spending less than £200. It's given it a lot more zip/control and I'm more confident as a result.