Frame warranty advice

huwy123
huwy123 Posts: 3
edited May 2016 in Road general
I was hoping for some advice on whether to pursue a warranty claim on my 16 month old road bike bought online for a small LBS based 3 hours drive away.

The rivet on the braze on front dérailleur has come away from the frame. I have a picture if that helps.

I'm wondering if the effort in pursuing the warranty claim is worth it because:-
1. I have a sportive this weekend so have just got my local shop to re-revit(?) and glue it so I have a bike to race
2. I had a crash about a year ago that wiped out my rear dérailleur and mech hanger. I don't think its related but still...
3. Returning to the bike shop is a major pain in the ar*e and I guess I'd have to pay the labour charges to strip/rebuild

Be interested to hear thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Huw

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you've already had it fixed, just move on. You've probably voided the warranty by having the work done anyway.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    (1) nullifies the warranty, (2) is irrelevant, only you can judge (3). I wouldn't bother - you're bike is fixed now.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    how much was the repair?

or more to the point - can you afford the repair easily - if that's a yes - which I assume it is as you've had it done (btw a sportive isn't a race) then what do you think you're gaining in pursuing a warranty claim? Are you just wanting the cost of repair back? Are you wanting a replacement frame?

If it were me - I'd probably contact the LBS you purchased the bike from with a FYI email stating what happened and with pictures. They may take the decision that they want to inspect the frame and consider a warranty replacement - if a rivet has pulled away then is it because of damage to the frame? Most likely - the wall of the seat tube isn't that thick.

I'm assuming that the "rivet on the braze-on" is there's a bracket that is riveted to the frame that supports the front mech - rather than using a clamp on mech ... ? Suggests to me that the frame is carbon?
  • huwy123
    huwy123 Posts: 3
    Yes it's a carbon frame. To be honest the repair doesn't look great and I guess will affect the resale value of the bike. it sounds like I'm on dodgy ground pursuing a warranty claim so I'll probably just leave it. Thanks for the advice