rear/saddle bottle cages

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
morning, i like the idea of having rear bottle cages. i do tend to take a lot out with me when i go for m long weekend rides and often set off really early so there are not many places to stop and get a drink or top up etc. now i have seen some cages but not sure if i have to sacrifice my saddle bag at the same time? suggestions are welcome
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    What size bottles are you using - 1 litre bottles are available which gives you 2 litres, and I bought a "folding"/collapsable bottle of 1 litre which will fit in the back pocket.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Are you in Britain ? Would your exhaust your two bottles before the shops opened?

Dunno about where you live but corner shops open early for the Sunday papers - and garages too. I've never needed more than the 1.5L I carry before I could find somewhere.

Chances are we'll have another pants summer anyway.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Fenix wrote:
    Are you in Britain ? Would your exhaust your two bottles before the shops opened?

Dunno about where you live but corner shops open early for the Sunday papers - and garages too. I've never needed more than the 1.5L I carry before I could find somewhere.

Chances are we'll have another pants summer anyway.

Yepp, amazed that someone needs to fret that much about water on a ride in the UK. If I am doing a long one then will usually do a Google/Streetmap search for garages, etc., at 50 mile intervals and top up my 2x550ml bottles there (most of them have access to the external water tap even when the office is formally closed). Failing that, one answer might be a camelback but only MTBrs and nodders wear them :wink: