Ultegra crank failure

13»

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    i think it was a fatigue issue. that's from 2016 September. on the ride my power meters battery was run down and it had no obvious signs of any issue. except the new battery didn't restart the power meter. next sign sprint i heard a ping. and thought nothing of it. didn't ride hard for the rest of the ride and then 2 miles from home got out of the saddle and went very left very quick :) its with the people i bought it from... so hopefully I will get a resolution. I'm looking at getting sturdier cranks from now on. or at least ones that don't fold.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    philbar72 wrote:
    i think it was a fatigue issue. that's from 2016 September

You mean it was new in September 2016? So it's just over 18 months old, and that includes 2 winters. Unless you're Steve Abraham I can't imagine you've done an unusually high mileage? I'd like to think that a crankset costing what D-A does should not be suffering from fatigue failure in that time. Christ, the pro riders would be getting through them every fortnight

I'd have thought it should be a no questions warranty replacement.

(Unless of course it's been crashed and taken the weight of rider and bike on the NDS pedal...)
  • philbar72
    the nature of the failure means that it was crashed post the structural failure. you genuinely can't make that up. around 8000 miles a year so about 13000 miles.

crazy huh...
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    keef66 wrote:
    Just how many grams do they save by using hollowtech / glue etc vs a conventional forged crank / spider?
    It's in the 200g ballpark - tiagra cranks weigh a little over 900g, 105 a little over 700g, ultegra a little under 700g.

You can tell Tiagra cranks are constructed differently because their sides are milled, instead of flat.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    keef66 wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

You mean it was new in September 2016? So it's just over 18 months old, and that includes 2 winters. Unless you're Steve Abraham I can't imagine you've done an unusually high mileage? I'd like to think that a crankset costing what D-A does should not be suffering from fatigue failure in that time. Christ, the pro riders would be getting through them every fortnight

(Unless of course it's been crashed and taken the weight of rider and bike on the NDS pedal...)

the D/A warranty period is three years
  • philbar72
    keef66 wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

the D/A warranty period is three years

good to know. has to be said Pioneer were willing to rebuild the PM FOC if I could supply another crank. not heard from shimano direct but have been in touch with Madison.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    philbar72 wrote:
    the nature of the failure means that it was crashed post the structural failure. you genuinely can't make that up. around 8000 miles a year so about 13000 miles.

crazy huh...

I think most people would have crashed if their crank fell apart on a climb. I meant had it been dropped at any time previously and might they try to wriggle out of replacing it? Hopefully neither.

Impressive mileage though; you're nipping at Steve's heels...
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Shit happens.... Of the millions of shimano cranksets out there a few are bound to fail over time. It's a bugger if it happens to an individual but not something out of the bounds of expectation.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • philbar72
    keef66 wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

crazy huh...

I think most people would have crashed if their crank fell apart on a climb. I meant had it been dropped at any time previously and might they try to wriggle out of replacing it? Hopefully neither.

Impressive mileage though; you're nipping at Steve's heels...

8000 is easy doing what I do. 2/3 evenings a week and Saturday and sunday and the miles add up.
  • philbar72
    Svetty wrote:
    shoot happens.... Of the millions of shimano cranksets out there a few are bound to fail over time. It's a bugger if it happens to an individual but not something out of the bounds of expectation.

totally agree.
  • Yes same thing happened to me. Started hearing an unidentified creak coming from the crankset and couldn’t find anything but over time it got worse and worse. Finally the crank arm started to fall off and was rubbing on my front derailleur. My mechanic was surprised because I am only 120 lb female and I can generate some watts but not like some big guys. I was fortunate it happened a little more slowly. I suspect it was cracked for the last two races I was in. Shimano is replacing the crankset as we speak.
  • yertez
    yertez Posts: 80
    Mine did the same after 19,000 Km and 6 years of service.
    I was about 20K from home when it went, and really only just made it home.
    Realised that I always stand on that side when unclipping on the left. So it was always taking a full load.
    I think what finished it off was a stiff Speedplay pedal.
    So alternating unclipping sides would probably have lengthened the life a bit.

Looks like there's a hairline crack in the pedal crank which caused a twist that delaminated the spider.

Luckily managed to find a new one , though R800 instead of the 6800. Sticking with 170mm, 52/36.