Rear Spokes for Dura-Ace C24 Wheels

canyon_nick
canyon_nick Posts: 6
edited May 2016 in Workshop
I have finally diagnosed that the horrific creaking is coming from my rear wheel and the spoke's can't be tightened and so will need to be replaced.

I have spoken to a few shops (some indies and some chains) about getting replacing the bladed spokes. All have told me that they are out of stock on Madison until mid June.

I am riding the Dragon Ride Epic distance in a few weeks and need to resolve this before then - so does anyone have any they wish to sell / know of a shop that has them in stock, or know of an alternative option that I can replace them with?

Thanks.

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    It depends. Is this a tubeless or a conventional rim? If it's conventional, I have a set of used spokes available.
  • It is conventional - so would be very much interested in the spokes.

How much would you like for them?

Thanks,
    Nick
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Have you measured the tension? Why they can not be tightened? Creaking could well be coming from the hub/freehub rather than the spokes
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Horrific creaking and DuraAce usually means the original cassette with the carbon spider...

You sure it's the wheel??
  • I took it to the local bike shop and that was what they also diagnosed, but you may be correct. The cassette was changed only 800 miles ago - but I did use them at Flanders - so it could well have been caused from cobbles?!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Do you have a cheaper 11 speed cassette you could swap in just to see?? 105 or Ultegra would do.
  • That's a good point - I may well try that first and see what happens. A spare set of spokes is not a bad thing mind you - so am still interested 964cup if you are looking to sell.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I'm not familiar with the C24, but it sounds a bit odd that the spokes can't be tensioned, but need replacing to stop the creaking. I had some low end Shimano wheels with straight pull spokes a while back which had some corrosion around the hub spoke interface (I can't think of a better word to describe it). They didn't make much of a noise, but when I put some oil on the nipples, to reduce the corrosion, they were quieter; until I broke a spoke and retired them. Maybe your wheel has lost a some tension allowing a bit of spoke movement that’s causing the creaking? Unless someone has a reason why putting oil on the nipples will cause harm (to the wheel) I’d try that first.
  • 964cup
    They're £3.99 each new. Nipples are an additional £1.99 each. Mad, I know. I've rebuilt a couple of these in the past, and spent some time staring in horror at SJS's website. There are 20 spokes on the rear, and I'll have to strip them out of the wheel they're in, so say £50 shipped.

I'd try anything else first, though - Ugo's advice is sound.

Remember also that the RS81 is pretty much the same wheel, with an Ultegra instead of DA hub; you can buy a new rear wheel for £216 at CRC. (If you really, really wanted to, you could have someone rebuild the RS81 onto your existing DA hub - the spokes and rim are identical in both wheels). I've done several DA rebuilds using RS81 rims to replace worn out DA rims, and the resulting wheel is exactly the same weight, and just as good, as the DA item. Frankly the extra weight of the Ultegra hub is hardly deal-breaking and, being in the hub, is not really noticeable. The guy I did the rebuilds for now just buys RS81s when his rims wear out and rides them.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I had a similar problem in getting hold of DA C24 spokes, and couldn't wait till Madison's delivery date.
    After spending a lot of time googling, I got some spokes and nipples from www.xxcycle.com. They're French, Toulouse I think, but the only people I could find with stock. They arrived last week, about a week after placing the order.
    Good advice from 964cup re the RS81's. When my C24 rims wear out I'm in two minds whether to replace the rims from some RS81s, or go for a light handbuilt wheelset instead, but that's a different story...
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Oh, the part number for the spoke is:
    Y4SYS1000
    And the nipple:
    Y4SYN1000
  • 964cup
    Oh, and you should know that the spoke nipple for Shimano is proprietary, so you need a proprietary spanner (which comes with the wheels) to build / true them.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You could save money with sp sapim race spokes cut to lenght and then buy the correct shimano nipples. Doubt the creaking is the spokes though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thank you all for the advice and help - most appreciated.