Another whichhardtail thread

Highy
Highy Posts: 38
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Folks,

I'm after a new hardtail, looking at splashing £800-£1000, there's a lot of choice and I'd appreciate opinions and suggestions.

I've got a full sus for the knarly stuff so it'll be mostly for long days out on moorland with maybe some packing and quick blats around the local trails here in Lincs and muddy days.

I'm thinking 650 wheels (I'm 5'10 and have used 26s for years and always been happy enough with them) and at the moment I'm looking at Whyte 805 and a clockwork 120. What else do you reckon I should be considering? Any thoughts about riding the Whyte - do those cables catch your knees when your'e out of the saddle?

Thanks
Al

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    As always if you are looking at that budget then if you want the best bang/buck then it's off to Boardman or Btwin.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • wilkij1975
    wilkij1975 Posts: 532
    I'd have a look at Bird. Can get a Zero TR for just under £1k and having an original Zero, I'd highly recommend them.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    OnOne Parkwood is worth a look at 1k - middle of the road 'trail' geometry, and equipped with a Revelation RL, 11 speed GX and a good wheelset too.
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    I'd consider the Sonder Transmitter, entry level is £849, comes with SRAM NX1 and RS Sektors fork, 650b+. A friend has one & loves it, billed as a hooligan hardtail but read a review by someone using it for the recent #forjenn Lakes 100mile ride in bike-packing mode and it fared well.
  • Highy
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll get looking into them. I did visit my local halfords, all the Boardmans were 29s, are they available as 650s?
    Kev I've read about the Sondor - are those the Alpkit jobs? Anybody else have experience of them?
  • timboellis
    timboellis Posts: 223
    Did you make a decision as I am also looking in this range
  • Highy
    I'm still looking for now, I've got a full susser so I'm not rushing it.

As it stands today there's the Whyte, possibly the Btwin (but Decathlon are a fair way away from here), I'd like to look at the Bird and the Sonder and also there's the Ragley that need investigation.

Haven't been able to find much about the Bird, both the Ragley and the Sonder get good reviews and I've seen that you can borrow a Sonder for a trial which sounds good.

I've discounted Boardmans as they're 29ers, I'm thinking 650 is the way to go....

Opinions and ideas are always welcome, some many bikes to choose from!
  • supersonic
  • Highy
    Cheers Super, they're the new halfords jobs? Think I read a not so hot review about them but I'll get over to look in a bigger store than my local one.
  • supersonic
    Yeah, their most recent released brand. Most of the reviews I have read have been very positive. One criticism was that the frame was shared with all the range, but you can look at that from both ends - it is still a good frame either way. In fact it is getting to the point where aluminium frames have evolved so much and are the least of your worries (geometry excepted) and the emphasis goes on the forks and other components.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    supersonic wrote:
    . In fact it is getting to the point where aluminium frames have evolved so much and are the least of your worries (geometry excepted) and the emphasis goes on the forks and other components.
    I'd agree once you get above the low end alloy frames, I find a good way to tell is to look at the dropouts, a cheap cut plate one means a cheap frame, any decent frame will have a formed one.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.