Handle bar rise

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited May 2016 in MTB general
Hi All.

Bought a new bike and everything seems spot on only the std Giant bars seem to low when going down steep stuff, Giant web site states 19mm rise so I thought I would try a 30 mm rise bar to see if that improves things, when they came just looking at them I thought they look the same as the Giant ones to me, not the most scientific way of doing things I put the bike level against the wall in the shed and marked the height of the bar on the wall, popped them out of the stem and lightly clamped the new ones in ( so not to mark them in case they have to go back )and the end of the bar was on the same mark, I take up sweep measurement is a std measurement or am I missing something ?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Up sweep is different from rise and varies - so a low upsweep higher rise bars may well put the bar tip in the same location as a lower rise with more upsweep, additionally where you locate the bars (rotation in the stem clamp) changes the relationship of back and up sweep.

Which Giant?

Have you measured the upsweep?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwilldoit
    Hi Rookie.

It's a 2015 Giant Trance 1.

I haven't taken the std bars off as yet, but a straight edge across the ends of the bars to see the difference in the drop to the clamp position and Giants so called 19mm is quite a bit larger than the 30mm ones I just bought, I will have to take the shifter, brake and grip and measure it properly.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Ideally you want quite a low bar on steep descents to keep some control of the front end while getting your weight back. Have you tried rolling them back a bit?
  • iwilldoit
    Ideally you want quite a low bar on steep descents to keep some control of the front end while getting your weight back. Have you tried rolling them back a bit?

Thanks for the advise, I think this weekend when I go out for a ride I will try doing the same couple of descents and alter the std bars and see how they feel in different positions.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    iwilldoit wrote:
    Hi Rookie.

I haven't taken the std bars off as yet, but a straight edge across the ends of the bars to see the difference in the drop to the clamp position and Giants so called 19mm is quite a bit larger than the 30mm ones I just bought, I will have to take the shifter, brake and grip and measure it properly.
    So you've measured upsweep and rise combined, you need to measure serperately.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwilldoit
    The Rookie wrote:
    iwilldoit wrote:
    Hi Rookie.

So you've measured upsweep and rise combined, you need to measure serperately.

Yes had a look when I got home from work and the new bars seem to have zero upsweep 30mm rise, where the Giants have a 19mm rise with a 5 degree upsweep which makes the grip area of the Giants higher than the others.

More to ordering a pair of bars than I first thought ( learning all the time ) :D