New Bike broken before I started

dranac23
dranac23 Posts: 2
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
So I'm new to mountain biking. Did it 3 times, loved it & bought a bike.

Got a 9 month old, demo 2014 Genesis Core 10 from 7Stanes Kirroughtree (originally bought the bike last year).
When it was delivered, the rear derailleur or hanger was bent through it's delivery. So the chain sometimes slips, jams &/or gets twisted and needs replacing,
If i straighten the hanger, its okay for a few days but bends back....

What do you suggest, replace the hanger? Replace the whole rear derailleur to be sure?
What ever I replace, I just want a standard replacement, any ideas how much I should be spending for a like for like replacement?

Any advice would be great.
Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    When did you buy the bike, now or last year?

If now tell the dealer - it's their problem to get it to you in one working piece. They should at least replace the hanger.

If last vyear you've probably left it late. Just replace the hanger and see if it's sorted out. Plenty available for around a tenner.

If it doesn't fix it probably new mech time.

Hangers aren't meant to be straightened, they're sacrificial.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But generally a bent hanger will just cause indexing hassles, not all the symptons you mention.

Maybe post a pic or ten.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A bent hanger will just cause poor gear selection.

If it bends during a ride then it could cause the chain to come off the cassette wheel side of frame side.

If the hanger is straightened without re-indexing the gears the chain is odds on to come off the cassette at some point, and yes going between cassette and frame could cause that damage, but that is 'operator error'.

Coming off between cassette and frame can also bend the hanger all over again.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You should have addressed it when the bike was delivered. Too late to hassle the shop about it now.

I'd try a replacement hanger first. £20 and easy to do yourself.

If that doesn't fix things then you might be looking at a new rear mech.