Bike for a large friend

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi All.

A friend asked me for some advise on getting a mtb he's around 5'10" but around 25 stone, I would think he's better off with a HT, would air suspension work ok with his weight and if he does go for a FS would the rear shock be ok?

Would there be any other things he would need to take into account when he's looking for a bike?

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    A friend... Interesting...it's always the friend...

Jk,
    The suspension can totally handle that, just make sure that you pump the fork and shock up enough (follow any "how to set your sag" guide). Simply make sure the bike fits him and it's what he wants (don't go with the wrong size just because of discounts!!)
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    25 stone may be on or over the limit for some bikes and reasonable sag - you'd have to check with the individual manufacturer).

What is his budget? I'd be tempted by a fat bike HT.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd agree with SS here, a fatbike tyre will cope with the weight better (retaining some compliance with enough pressure to hold up) and fat bike framesets are inherently burlier.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOFATX5S ... c-fat-bike is quite nicely specced for a fatty at that price.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.