Best Brake Pads.

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
I do a fair mileage each week (around 200 miles) but seem to be going through brake pads pretty quickly, I initially used the standard Shimano pads that came with the 105 5800 calipers, then when they wore out bought the DA ones as I read they lasted longer and gave better performance (not that I could notice any difference from the standard 105 ones?

So I am thinking that upgrading the brake pads to Swisstop or the like would be a good investment, not only from a performance perspective but hopefully from a longevity perspective as well.

I ride alu rims and race (rest of the season will mainly be crits and 1 road race)

What would you recommend?
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Swiss Stops greens / Kool Stop Salmons perform great (only pad I can actually tell the difference I'm using) but they really don't last very long. Softer compound means they work better but wear out quicker.
    I just use Lifeline (wiggle own brand) on my commuter/training bike. Only £2,99 and just as good as Shimano.
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Softer pads brake better and save rim wear, if you buy longer lasting pads you will have to accept poorer braking and increased rate of rim wear - is that really what you want? Koolstop salmon or swissstop green = safer, make your rims last longer and accept the price hit - makes sense to me.
  • JesseD
    Happy to take a hit on longevity for better performance, I get neither with the Shimano ones!
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    Colleague of mine wanted to know why SwissStop cost the same (or nearly) as the pads for his BMW motorcycle (1250cc) that will stop him from the speeds that bike will do
  • JesseD
    So we talking these ones then?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/swissstop-flash ... 60340957uk

Only a tenner more than the Shitmano ones
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    I find the shimano pads are better for dry conditions. Swissstop better in the wet.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674
    JesseD wrote:
    So we talking these ones then?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/swissstop-flash ... 60340957uk

Only a tenner more than the Shitmano ones

Yes and you get two pairs for that price.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have long used the Swissstop greens however, recently tried their newer (I think!) blue pads and they work great with alloy rims.

Peter
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    SwissStop FlashPro BXP Blue http://www.swissstop.com/tech/compounds/bxp/
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    DJ58 wrote:

Ahem, yes, these are the ones I was referring to!! :oops:
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    DJ58 wrote:
    Wot e sed!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • dag_on_a_bike
    dag_on_a_bike Posts: 581
    SwissStop FlashPro BXP Blue for me too.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    amrushton wrote:
    Colleague of mine wanted to know why SwissStop cost the same (or nearly) as the pads for his BMW motorcycle (1250cc) that will stop him from the speeds that bike will do

Probably for the same reason that Sidi cycling shoes cost the same as their motorcycling boots...
  • BlueNGT
    BlueNGT Posts: 119
    SwissStop FlashPro BXP Blue for me too.

I agree...superb pads!!!