Buckled wheel?

ap14204
ap14204 Posts: 3
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Was cleaning my bike after a ride when I noticed that the front wheel had taken a knock. (She was a little bit wobbly) Thought I would try and straighten her up by trying to true the wheel, while that had some minor improvements the wheel is still buckled. Is there a way to fix a buckled wheel or do I need to buy a new one?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends how badly it's buckled. Most can be sorted if you know what you're doing.

Post a pic.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the rim is bent (rather than just pulled out of true) then it's new rim (or whole new wheel) time.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • StinkinHippy
    StinkinHippy Posts: 160
    Silly question time. Are you sure it's the rim and not just the tyre that's got a wobble on it?
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    cooldad wrote:
    Depends how badly it's buckled. Most can be sorted if you know what you're doing.

Post a pic.

This, when you true a wheel its never a simple case of just one spoke you usually end up doing a few spokes both sides. As Rookie said though depends how bad it is if the rims taken too much of a hit an its bent youll be looking at a new rim at least.
  • ap14204
    ap14204 Posts: 3
    Thanks for reply's. Def the rim that is buckled. think it is time for a rim upgrade and the buckled one will become my workshop experiment rim.