Yorkshire tyres choice

vci380
vci380 Posts: 17
edited June 2016 in MTB general
Hi, I'm due a rubber upgrade on my hardtail for summer in Yorkshire uk. I ride a in woods, dirt paths, fire roads and tow paths with sections of tarmac in between. To add to this my other half is just getting into road riding and doing about 3 15/20 mile rides a week that i often accompany her on.
I'm looking for good all round tyres but obviously i know this is a broad spread. In total i probably do about 50 miles a week.
Think I'm down for a Hans dampf up front for the grip in woods and rolling on firm balance but don't know if the pacestar/ trialstar compound will make too much difference? (Will the grip i loose by going pace star in the woods be paid back in hard wearingness and less drag on the road?) and either a Racing Ralph or Rock Razor on the back. Which is the better of the two and does the compound make much difference to drag, grip and wear?
Any input based on experience would be greatly appreciated fellas.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Hans Dampf? Wow, that's an interesting choice of summer rubber. Is it really that wet up there? Stick with a Nobby N if you have to go Schwalbe.

Best combo I've tried at the moment is WTB Vigilante front (if you HAVE to have that much grip) and WTB Trail Boss rear.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't go Hand Dampf. They really drag badly. Nobby Nice would be loads better.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Up here yorkshire I use a 2.25 bontrager xr4 tyre on the front of my bike and rear due to clearance issues I'm trying out an x-king tyre in 2.2 for something quick rolling, maybe a strange tyre combo but works for me.

Was up in the peak district last week Monday and grip was fine but it was bone dry up on the tops.

You'd want something like a nobby nic or what about a mountain king as a front tyre something less aggressive than n hans dampf but decent all rounder?

if you are road riding most of the time then you'd want to swap the front tyre to something fast rolling anyway so sounds like you need 2 front tyres.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd be looking at a Rocket Ron front and Racing Ralph rear, both in triple compound, Pacestar is poor in the wet over hard surfaces (wood/stone), I use that through the English 'summer' and Nic's both ends in winter.

A Dampf will be really draggy and not suited to your stated use at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • vci380
    edited May 2016
    Wow, seen loads of stuff online saying the Hans is a great allrounder which is what led me to that.
    Is there much difference between the Ralph and Razor?
    To be honest a lot of friend ran front and rear Ralphs last year, i just read you were better with some extra grip up front.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Plenty of tyres will give you the extra grip without the drag and associated misery of having to follow a Hans Dampf shod front wheel around in the dry!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I run Nobby Nics front and rear, 2.35 trailstar front and 2.25 pacestar back.

Pretty good rolling on the road but plenty of grip elsewhere for the techy stuff around West Yorkshire. Which part of Yorkshire you doing the riding around?
  • vci380
    Round Wakefield and Leeds mostly. Might just go for Razor up front and Ralph on back and risk it. If the front gives me trouble I've had a Nic up front for winter so could put that back on.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    vci380 wrote:
    Round Wakefield and Leeds mostly. Might just go for Razor up front and Ralph on back and risk it. If the front gives me trouble I've had a Nic up front for winter so could put that back on.

Round Wakefield and Leeds you'll be fine with Ralphs/Rons etc, theres nothing gnarly to warranty more burly tyres.
  • vci380
    Yeah thinking that way now. Now its just Rons vs Razors to decide on.....
  • swod1
    Isn't the razor a rear tyre so I wouldn't use one as a front tyre.

rocket Ron/ racing Ralph combo will be fine.

Think I'm gonna order some for my bike as due a new front/rear tyre.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Make sure to get evo versions though rather than the cheaper performance versions.
  • vci380
    Deffo at least the snakeskins. Are double defence worth it or not?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Razor is definitely a rear only. They last no time as well. I took one on a riding holiday and it lasted three days before it was ruined.
    All Schwalbe tyres wear really quickly (I wouldn't by them again) but the razor is ridiculous.
  • Rather than start a new thread any tyre recommendations for the Ard Rock Enduro?
    (Orange Crush Hardtail)
  • swod1
    Razor is definitely a rear only. They last no time as well. I took one on a riding holiday and it lasted three days before it was ruined.
    All Schwalbe tyres wear really quickly (I wouldn't by them again) but the razor is ridiculous.

Yes I would agree with this, even the cheap performance nobby nic I bought as it was very cheap wore down after a few weeks.

I've swapped my front tyre recently as my bontrager xr4 was very worn and fitted a mountain king 2.2 seems very narrow compared with a xr4 in 2.2.

Used continential tyres before and for some reason every tyre has been a very tight fit on mavic rims.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't have wear problems on Schwalbe, I usually get two summers out of Ron/Ralph and 2 winters out of Nics, XC and trail centre (mostly Cannock) use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • vci380
    Think I'm just gonna go a pair of evo s skin ralphs and if its a bit hairy stick the nic back on the front.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Personally a Ralph would be too sketchy for my liking on the front, it's a good fast back tyre but you can really feel it slip on wet/greasy stone or cobbles, on the back that's not so much an issue as it's easily countered. A nic or ron on the front would be my suggestion, but tyres are a very personal preference.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Rookie wrote:
    I don't have wear problems on Schwalbe, I usually get two summers out of Ron/Ralph and 2 winters out of Nics, XC and trail centre (mostly Cannock) use.

Cannock would be extremely easy on tyres though. There's nothing there to wear them.
    The gritstone on a lot of Yorkshire trails is extremely abrasive.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Rather than start a new thread any tyre recommendations for the Ard Rock Enduro?
    (Orange Crush Hardtail)
    I was riding up there just last week, I'm running a Magic Mary at the front and Minion DHR2 on the rear and they were fantastic
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • dusk wrote:
    Rather than start a new thread any tyre recommendations for the Ard Rock Enduro?
    (Orange Crush Hardtail)
    I was riding up there just last week, I'm running a Magic Mary at the front and Minion DHR2 on the rear and they were fantastic
    Nice one, thanks 8)