Classic Shore riding with Crash and analysis (video)

thebikingbuddha
thebikingbuddha Posts: 32
edited May 2016 in MTB general
Guys,

I re-edited my video based on your feedback(music and special effects).

I've also included a crash at the end, and a crash analysis of what went wrong.

Enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/166912780

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    I actually enjoyed it! Much better!
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I watched it all the way through this time.
    Only criticism would be the unnecessary slow mo, especially if it wasn't shot at a high frame rate to begin with.
    Wouldn't mind riding those trails myself sometime.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    ^^^
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Infinitely better!

Enjoyed watching it but to be critical (constructively)
    1/ Still lacked a little flow up until about 1m 30s, looked like you were riding each section and stopping to re-ride it, so speed in and flow not quite there, from 1m44 on it was much better
    2/ Slow mo can be nice but it needs to be smooth, so either shot on a higher FPS or use a smoothing software, that will blur it, so you need the right shot for it to work
    3/ From a riding point of view you drop your shoulders when moving your weight back a tad more than I'd expect, so going steep downhill you lose some stability versus keeping your shoulders up a fraction, and I think its that which dropped your front wheel for the tumble.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Infinitely better!

Enjoyed watching it but to be critical (constructively)
    1/ Still lacked a little flow up until about 1m 30s, looked like you were riding each section and stopping to re-ride it, so speed in and flow not quite there, from 1m44 on it was much better
    2/ Slow mo can be nice but it needs to be smooth, so either shot on a higher FPS or use a smoothing software, that will blur it, so you need the right shot for it to work
    3/ From a riding point of view you drop your shoulders when moving your weight back a tad more than I'd expect, so going steep downhill you lose some stability versus keeping your shoulders up a fraction, and I think its that which dropped your front wheel for the tumble.

Hmmmm. Thanks bud.

1) You are right, I repeated each feature a few times so stopped rather than flowing into and through the trail like I normally would've.
    2) Good point on the Slow-Mo and FPS. I think the camera guy used 24FPS but I should have told him to make it higher on the features that would have required slow-mo. I will definitely keep that in mind for my next vid.
    3) You are right. I will analyze my shoulder position while riding from now on. The other thing, I was hungry, thirsty and really tired from hiking back up to do the features towards the end of the video so my riding technique may have been a bit off. I won't use that as an excuse but it possibly could have affected my technique. On a side note the whole trail takes about 8-10 minutes to ride, BUT with the repeating of the features and having to set up for each shot it actually took about 4 hours to do.

You brought up some very good points and I will focus on these for my next video, thanks again for the feedback. You have good knowledge of recording action videos, have you worked with video editing of MTB or action sports videos?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Much better video.
    I agree with Rookies comments about your riding position. You needed to scrub that drop before your crash, would have give you more speed and you'd have been in a better position where you crashed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would add that for a home made video (not rider POV) that is now one of the best I've seen, certainly in the top 10%, so please understand we are now trying to help, not slate your efforts!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I would add that for a home made video (not rider POV) that is now one of the best I've seen, certainly in the top 10%, so please understand we are now trying to help, not slate your efforts!

Definitely, I do understand. I am very grateful for all your insights. They will greatly help in future edits.