Campag Neutron repair or bin?

flasher
flasher Posts: 1,734
edited May 2016 in Workshop
I was involved in a hit and run, thankfully not too much damage, mainly just a broken spoke on my rear Campag Neutron, my friendly lbs have tried their best and have now replaced 2 spokes, unfortunately everytime they true it up another breaks, apparently the nipples are seized so they're saying that it needs a complete rebuild!

Campag spokes and rebuild comes to about £150, the wheel's are 8 years old now and have been fantastic, also the brake track is hardly worn, should I use the opportunity to buy some new wheels, or get it rebuilt? Also are there any alternative spokes that can be used as the Campag ones seem crazy expensive?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    New wheels with a wider rim is one option. Get them rebuilt if that lbs is good at building wheels.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    I did rebuild a couple of Neutron... it's quite a job and it will be hard to find someone who actually wants to do it. There is a staggering number of rim and hub washers that need to be placed correctly. That said, they are/were a 600 quid pair of wheels and probably still the best climbing wheels on the market (albeit the 22 holes front rim is lunacy). You don't need campagnolo spokes, you just need straight pull spokes of the correct length, which saves some money... for instance you could use DT competition straight pull.
    150 seems a bit steep. Spokes could be bought for 1.30 each from JRA, so that's 30 pounds or so, add another 30-40 pounds for the job and you get to 70 quid or so, which seems totally worth it
    left the forum March 2023
  • bikeav8or
    bikeav8or Posts: 77
    After 2 spokes going in normal use on my Neutrons I replaced all the spokes with straight CXRays which I could only find in the USA. Laced the wheel up myself and got the LBS - Head from the Hills in Dorking- to tension them.

You might need a Campag soke kit which has the replacement nipple/washer you will surely lose in the process :D

You'll need a park tools nipple wrench and a bladed spoke holder
  • flasher
    I did rebuild a couple of Neutron... it's quite a job and it will be hard to find someone who actually wants to do it. There is a staggering number of rim and hub washers that need to be placed correctly.

Excellent, that sounds like a plan, any ideas who might want to take on such a project?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Flasher wrote:
    I did rebuild a couple of Neutron... it's quite a job and it will be hard to find someone who actually wants to do it. There is a staggering number of rim and hub washers that need to be placed correctly.

Excellent, that sounds like a plan, any ideas who might want to take on such a project?

Not really... if you were my neighbour I'd do it, but my days of sending wheels around are over. Not tempted by having a go yourself? Admittedly it's not the easiest wheel to rebuild, but...
  • flasher
    Not really... if you were my neighbour I'd do it, but my days of sending wheels around are over. Not tempted by having a go yourself? Admittedly it's not the easiest wheel to rebuild, but...

Possibly, I have a truing stand so...........however looked over at JRA and the DT Comp straight pull spokes only come in one length, 300mm and they don't list DT internal nipples or washers etc. so I'm concerned that it'll end up a bit of a nightmare, spending good money after back on an ill-fated project!
  • ugo.santalucia
    Flasher wrote:

Possibly, I have a truing stand so...........however looked over at JRA and the DT Comp straight pull spokes only come in one length, 300mm and they don't list DT internal nipples or washers etc. so I'm concerned that it'll end up a bit of a nightmare, spending good money after back on an ill-fated project!

They have a spoke cutter/threader, then can get most lengths for you, either from that or Sapim Race... just talk to them and tell them what you want to do... they might even know what lengths you need