Packable Gilet/Vest

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a packable gilet, something similar to the Giordana Newtrevelli (Windtex front/mesh back), which I have in club kit, but want something that I can use with ALL my kit.
I'm pretty much set on the Sportful Fiandre Norain Vest, but I'd like to know how small it packs - any one have one?
What I'm really not keen on - and it rules a lot of Vests out - is the polyester/bin bag material/look that they all have!

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    I can vouch for these:
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Pearl-Izumi-Eli ... C5d3w_wcB#

Pack down quite small, but still very effective.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • igsta
    igsta Posts: 56
    Another vote here but understand they size larger than typical cycling gear from manufacturers like sportful
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I've got a Louis Garneau Nova which packs small enough for a jersey back pocket and does well to keep the wind off the front but has a mesh back and so breathes where it matters. They are on clearance offer from Evans at the moment (Large at £18). That recommendation comes from somebody who's not usually a fan of LG stuff.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Castelli Fawesome will fit the bill, fits in a jersey pocket. I like the Rapha pro team rain gilet, which does not have the mesh back your after.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    The dhb Aeron Lightweight Windslam Gilet is Windtex with a mesh back. It packs down small enough for a pocket i.e. not tiny but similar to a rain jacket, and doesn't look like a bin liner. The downsides are a) I'm not that keen on the navy blue, high vis yellow combination (maybe black/orange would be better) and b) I'm a medium in jerseys but this medium gilet is quite large and flaps in the wind.
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    Andcp wrote:
    I can vouch for these:
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Pearl-Izumi-Eli ... C5d3w_wcB#

Pack down quite small, but still very effective.
    Another vote for these - excellent bit of kit IMO
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Love my Endura Pakagilet. Packs down really small into its own little bag.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    KentPhil wrote:
    Love my Endura Pakagilet. Packs down really small into its own little bag.

I'll second this.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Craft Featherlight is a good option and they come in black or white so should go with anything ... Not as sturdy as my Rapha gilet but it packs a lot smaller and does the job in summer ... I also have the full jacket version of the Craft one, also does it's job perfectly ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I've got a Louis Garneau Nova which packs small enough for a jersey back pocket and does well to keep the wind off the front but has a mesh back and so breathes where it matters. They are on clearance offer from Evans at the moment (Large at £18). That recommendation comes from somebody who's not usually a fan of LG stuff.

Yep I got one of these and been using it on my daily commute, so far im impressed, for £18 you cant go wrong.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    FatTed wrote:
    Castelli Fawesome will fit the bill, fits in a jersey pocket. I like the Rapha pro team rain gilet, which does not have the mesh back your after.

Fawesome will be a tight fit in jersey pocket - not for everyone. However it beats all the other Gilets in just about every way!
  • rowlers
    Thanks for the replies. Would love Fawesome but I think it is just a little bulky. Hence the preference of the Fiandre would I suspect is a lot lighter. The LG looks a great buy for the money!
  • cookiemonster
    cookiemonster Posts: 668
    Condor do a black gilet with a waterproof front and mesh back that packs down to half-pocket size. Its 40 quid or abouts, so reasonably priced.
  • rowlers
    At £20 delivered I've just bought the LG Nova... I'll probably still get a "nice" one for my birthday...
  • rudivoller22
    rudivoller22 Posts: 492
    How does the Nova size up? I tend to be large in Castelli etc
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Nowadays I'm 6'1" and a smidge under 40" Chest - I wear an XXL Gabba and a XL Nova but could drop a size in each as I have lost a bit of weight since getting them (but will never be a racing snake!). Hope this helps.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)