Trying to make my road bike from a flat-bar bike

wtherapy
wtherapy Posts: 36
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I am interested in buying a fitness Canyon bike that can be seen at:

https://www.canyon.com/en-ro/fitness/ro ... l-7-0.html

My primary goal with it is to use it with drop handlebars and I'm not interested in a regular road bike since this one supports wider tires (I'm about 95 kg weight), hydraulic disc brakes and I also want a big top tube to get a big seat post angle (with a Profile Design Fast-Forward seat post, the seat post angle can be increased by about 5 deg). My question is - can I use one of them:

https://www.bike24.com/p2141894.html
https://www.bike24.com/p2152044.html

with my own drop-handlebar and have it work without problems with the bike? If yes, can I use them with the brakes provided with the bike at canyon or do I need new brakes?

Thank you.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Why not choose one of their Inflite range?? Fatter tyres, disc brakes and drop bars already.

https://www.canyon.com/en/road/inflite/ ... l-9-0.html
  • wtherapy
    Already considered Inflite. I need a bike with bigger top tube.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Unlike most flat barred bikes that really is a flat bar road bike. So the shifting should work at the very least, no idea about the brakes. Keep in mind that if you're just swapping flats for drops the normal riding position, i.e. on the hoods becomes a good bit further away. So you have to keep than in mind when working out your geometry.
  • wtherapy
    Unlike most flat barred bikes that really is a flat bar road bike. So the shifting should work at the very least, no idea about the brakes. Keep in mind that if you're just swapping flats for drops the normal riding position, i.e. on the hoods becomes a good bit further away. So you have to keep than in mind when working out your geometry.

Thanks for the answer. This is precisely what I am after - the new riding position. This why I am so focused on this one. So, what if the brakes won't work with the levers at https://www.bike24.com/p2141894.html ? Buy a new set of brakes and that's it?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Seems like a lot of faff and expense to me.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    wtherapy wrote:
    Thanks for the answer. This is precisely what I am after - the new riding position. This why I am so focused on this one.

It may leave you quite stretched out tbh. What size are you looking at? I would be very surprised if Canyon doesn't do a road bike which already has drops which would give you the same position?
    So, what if the brakes won't work with the levers at https://www.bike24.com/p2141894.html ? Buy a new set of brakes and that's it?

I'd investigate those brakes, Shimano technical documents will probably give you a good idea. If you are looking at a new set then you'd have to check the mount point compatibility. Plus learn how to set up hydraulic brakes from scratch I guess.
  • keef66
    Well I have no experience with disc brakes at all, and certainly not road hydraulics.

Unsurprisingly, Shimano say the (hydraulic road) levers you link to - ST-RS505, are only compatible with the following hydraulic road calipers:-
    BR-RS 805
    BR-RS 785
    BR-RS 505
    BR-RS 405
    BR-R785

So the second option of the complete set of shifters, BR-RS785 calipers, hoses etc would appear to be the safer bet.

That should also make it easier to sell on the brakes / levers you take off as a set.
  • wtherapy
    keef66 wrote:
    Well I have no experience with disc brakes at all, and certainly not road hydraulics.

Unsurprisingly, Shimano say the (hydraulic road) levers you link to - ST-RS505, are only compatible with the following hydraulic road calipers:-
    BR-RS 805
    BR-RS 785
    BR-RS 505
    BR-RS 405
    BR-R785

So the second option of the complete set of shifters, BR-RS785 calipers, hoses etc would appear to be the safer bet.

That should also make it easier to sell on the brakes / levers you take off as a set.

Hm... that's a good one. Is there any possibility that the BR-RS785 road calipers won't fit the frame?
  • keef66
    Well the front one will definitely fit the fork; that caliper is fitted to the very same fork on one of the Inflite models.

I think it's a reasonable assumption that the rear will also fit. Can't imagine Shimano would have 2 different mounting standards...

Maybe ask the question of Canyon??
  • wtherapy
    Would I need this https://www.bike24.com/p2142082.html to mount the calipers?
    keef66 wrote:

BR-RS 805
    BR-RS 785
    BR-RS 505
    BR-RS 405
    BR-R785

• wtherapy
    I've asked Canyon about this, once they gave me a "you can customize the bike according to your specification", then I dropped the idea for other bike, then I've asked them again 2 times and they didn't respond.
    keef66 wrote:
    Well the front one will definitely fit the fork; that caliper is fitted to the very same fork on one of the Inflite models.

I think it's a reasonable assumption that the rear will also fit. Can't imagine Shimano would have 2 different mounting standards...

Maybe ask the question of Canyon??
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    wtherapy wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

BR-RS 805
    BR-RS 785
    BR-RS 505
    BR-RS 405
    BR-R785

Yes - a quick look at the Canyon frame shows that the front fork has flat mount bosses so no adaptor is needed. The rear seat stay, however, has post mount bosses so you will need an adaptor to fit the rear Shimano caliper
  • wtherapy
    The spec of the adapter states clearly - "Adaptor to use a a Postmount brake in combination with a Flat Mount. The adapter can be used as follows: " - that is, you adapt a postmount brake to a flatmount frame. My situation is the other way around. So I'll have to find a postmount caliper or drop the idea.
    arlowood wrote:
    wtherapy wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

BR-RS 805
    BR-RS 785
    BR-RS 505
    BR-RS 405
    BR-R785

Yes - a quick look at the Canyon frame shows that the front fork has flat mount bosses so no adaptor is needed. The rear seat stay, however, has post mount bosses so you will need an adaptor to fit the rear Shimano caliper
  • keef66
    wtherapy wrote:

Don't think so; they are for post mount calipers. As I understand it, the Shimano calipers are flat mount, so should bolt straight on. Hard to tell from the pics on the Canyon site, they are all from the wrong side...

Anyone out there with experience of working with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes??? One of our MTB colleagues??

I'm basing all this on what I'm reading on the web. I've never had anything but cable actuated rim brakes, so don't go buying anything on the basis of my research! :shock:
  • wtherapy
    I'm starting to investigate the mechanical disc option. I don't stick with hydraulic brakes, I'm only after the frame.
    keef66 wrote:
    wtherapy wrote:

Don't think so; they are for post mount calipers. As I understand it, the Shimano calipers are flat mount, so should bolt straight on. Hard to tell from the pics on the Canyon site, they are all from the wrong side...

Anyone out there with experience of working with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes??? One of our MTB colleagues??

I'm basing all this on what I'm reading on the web. I've never had anything but cable actuated rim brakes, so don't go buying anything on the basis of my research! :shock:
  • keef66
    I'm giving up now. All my attempts to enlighten myself about disc caliper mounting options have left me confused. I.S. has clearly been superseded by post mount, and then the Shimano flat mount standard is even more recent. Pictures of rear flat mount calipers suggest they are designed to sit on the chainstay inside the rear triangle. Shimano's dealer manual for hydraulic road discs shows the calipers being mounted in a variety of ways...

The Canyon disc braked bikes have rear calipers mounted above the seatstay. Does that mean the frame is post mount??
  • wtherapy
    The brakes used by Roadlite are post mount, that I found in the specs of the brakes, somewhere on the net. On the other hand, I am looking at https://www.canyon.com/en-ro/road/infli ... l-9-0.html and I can guess it's using post mount for the rear calipers, and it's using SHIMANO BR-RS785. Maybe those calipers are post mount ( that's what I'm trying to find out now ).
    I see the Roadlite is disappearing fast. The 6.0 version is not available anymore in XXL size, and 7.0 is only available in XXL with the yellow markings.
    keef66 wrote:
    I'm giving up now. All my attempts to enlighten myself about disc caliper mounting options have left me confused. I.S. has clearly been superseded by post mount, and then the Shimano flat mount standard is even more recent. Pictures of rear flat mount calipers suggest they are designed to sit on the chainstay inside the rear triangle. Shimano's dealer manual for hydraulic road discs shows the calipers being mounted in a variety of ways...

The Canyon disc braked bikes have rear calipers mounted above the seatstay. Does that mean the frame is post mount??
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    wtherapy wrote:

Why do you need a bigger top tube?
  • wtherapy
    I want a huge seat post angle. To give some figures, I'd like a 595 mm top tube with about 79-80 deg seat post angle. Note that a 38 mm forward move of the saddle increases the seat post angle by approx 5 deg.
    Gimpl wrote:
    wtherapy wrote:

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    wtherapy wrote:
    I want a huge seat post angle. To give some figures, I'd like a 595 mm top tube with about 79-80 deg seat post angle. Note that a 38 mm forward move of the saddle increases the seat post angle by approx 5 deg.
    Gimpl wrote:
    wtherapy wrote:

moving the saddle doesn't change the seatpost angle. the seatpost stays in the same place.
    Do you mean you want the saddle further forward relative to the bottom bracket?
    Why?
  • darkhairedlord
    You don't have a decals do you?
  • darkhairedlord
    is this why you need the long top tube?
    latest?cb=20090826034652
  • wtherapy
    Moving the saddle forward increases the "pedaling angle". Of course, the seat post angle stays the same as it is 'metal to metal', but moving the saddle forward increases the pedaling angle. Perhaps I've phrased the wrong way.
    is this why you need the long top tube?
    latest?cb=20090826034652
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    wtherapy wrote:
    Maybe those calipers are post mount ( that's what I'm trying to find out now ).

The Shimano online tech docs tell you all you need to know.
    http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/lc/1.5 ... egra_grade
  • As an aside, I'm really tempted by this bike but have heard some bad things about Canyon's delivery. Should I be concerned?
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • darkhairedlord
    As ugo said on another thread, planet-x xls.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/cycl%20...%205b45270412
  • wtherapy
    I don;t know about the delivery, but just went to the web page and found the bike I was talking about, size XXL, is deferred to September. I'm totally disappointed and angry with that; in fact, most of their bikes are postponed to july-september and this situation is here for years.
    As an aside, I'm really tempted by this bike but have heard some bad things about Canyon's delivery. Should I be concerned?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's not like it's the only bike in the world though is it? Plenty of options.