shimano pm 180mm adapter issue

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought one of these from crc a while ago and have only recent come to use this on my bike.

However the supplied bolts came with those silly cone shaped washers as seen on Avid brakes so I've had a issue with getting the brake calliper aligned properly.

I've taken these off and used some flat washers which seemed to work, is this going to be safe in the long term?

I've ridden into work this morning and all seems well the brake hasn't come loose.

I've looked at replacement bolts and come across titanium which I don't need and costs a lot.

Anyone know anywhere to get replacement bolts I think I need M6 in sizes 32mm and 28mm.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    Were you putting the washers between the adapter and the brake? That's not where they go. They sit immediately before the bolt head, to accommodate for the surface of the caliper no longer being completely perpendicular to the bolt shaft.
  • swod1
    No they were just below the bolt head but fiddly as I tighten up the bolts, the caliper moved position causing the disc to rub the pads.

I was upgrading from a 160mm disc that used the old style bolts but are too short.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited May 2016
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The washers are there as the bolt can sit at an angle in relation to the calliper without them due to the change in angle caused by the adaptor, as long as everything has tightened properly and evenly, I can't see why there'd be any issues not using them.
  • swod1
    Antm81 wrote:
    The washers are there as the bolt can sit at an angle in relation to the calliper without them due to the change in angle caused by the adaptor, as long as everything has tightened properly and evenly, I can't see why there'd be any issues not using them.

Nothing has come loose so far I think we are all good, the new issue now is the brand new 180 disc I had in my spares box is warped its started to brush on the pads ever so slightly.

Annoying as it has never been used and was carefully stored away maybe a tweak with an adjustable spanner should sort it as superstar are out of stock in 180 and I don't need a cooling fin type disc on my xc bike.

Shimano floating rotor's are they worth buying?