Check your stock 25mm wheel inner tubes (Mavic)!

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited May 2016 in Road general
Wife's SuperSix Evo HM is beautifully light and actually came with decent Mavic wheels which did not really need upgrading.
I am not that keen on 25mm tyres and she does not need them as she is not a heavy rider, but it is what it is and its a lovely bike.

Was a little surprised to find nasty heavy 25-32mm tubes in the 25mm Mavic Ksyrium Pro's though :shock:
I know a lot of people will be swapping out things to make improvements anyway, but with 25mm being the norm (even on racy bikes) these days I thought it worth a mention, as its a big (virtually free) weight saving move to replace the tubes if they have shoved the biggest ones they can in there.

Comments

• Carbonator wrote:
    Wife's SuperSix Evo HM is beautifully light and actually came with decent Mavic wheels which did not really need upgrading.
    I am not that keen on 25mm tyres and she does not need them as she is not a heavy rider, but it is what it is and its a lovely bike.

Was a little surprised to find nasty heavy 25-32mm tubes in the 25mm Mavic Ksyrium Pro's though :shock:
    I know a lot of people will be swapping out things to make improvements anyway, but with 25mm being the norm (even on racy bikes) these days I thought it worth a mention, as its a big (virtually free) weight saving move to replace the tubes if they have shoved the biggest ones they can in there.

Dont know if serious or not. Replacing inner tubes to save weight is a bit like how firing a space rocket away from Earth reduces the planet's mass.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above - not sure if serious. If you are, then you need help...
  • Anonymous
    OK, I'll stick the weirdly heavy ones back in then :wink:
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Don't forget that you can leave off those little valve caps to save another 2 Gms.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Anonymous
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Don't forget that you can leave off those little valve caps to save another 2 Gms.

Are you mad........... they are colour coded!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I always breathe out before setting off.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I always breathe out before setting off.
    I drink all the water from my bottle before a climb to reduce the bike's weight
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Why bother with tubes?!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Saving a bit of weight using thinner inner tubes is actually an easy win. I use Conti Supersonic tubes on my tubed wheels, although costing about £10 each, save about 50g on the rim of each wheel. So for £10-£15 extra over standard tubes you get a better feel from the tyre and save 100g on the rims of your wheels. These inner tubes also take about half the space in your EPMS or jersey pocket (and another 50g weight saving).

Why would you not do this?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    As I said, why bother with tubes?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I love this experiment. http://www.training4cyclists.com/how-mu ... lpe-dhuez/

Sure save weight on your inner tubes if it's important to you - but if time isn't the be all and end all I'd rather have stouter ones that puncture less.
  • drlodge
    As I said, why bother with tubes?

Indeed, I have/am moving to tubeless but still have the old Record hub/Open Pro rimmed wheels. Its a much nicer ride and no pinch flats (unlike at the weekend when using the old wheels I pinch flatted both wheels and found the 1 spare tube had a hole in it...)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    Fenix wrote:
    I love this experiment. http://www.training4cyclists.com/how-mu ... lpe-dhuez/

Sure save weight on your inner tubes if it's important to you - but if time isn't the be all and end all I'd rather have stouter ones that puncture less.

I seriously doubt that stouter inner tubes make any difference to the puncture resistance. If a thorn or piece of flint gets through the tyre, a thin bit of butyl won't stand in the way. So many people are willing to spends £££s on lighter wheels and get a weight saving of a couple hundred grams, whereas thinner tubes will save you 100g for bugger all money.
    Find me on Strava
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,025
    Imposter wrote:

As new wheels are the "must have upgrade" to replace the heavy stock dead ones that are seeming supplied on every bike in existance I thought the OP had a valid point.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    drlodge wrote:
    ... I use Conti Supersonic tubes on my tubed wheels...

Do they come with the valves which screw in? I binned the few Conti tubes I had a long time ago as I found that my 'on the road' pump with its screw on connector meant that the blinking valves would unscrew after pumping up. Gave me a strong pumping arm though :shock:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:

As new wheels are the "must have upgrade" to replace the heavy stock dead ones that are seeming supplied on every bike in existance I thought the OP had a valid point.

The point is only valid if your supposition is correct....and I'm not sure that it is... ;)
  • drlodge
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Do they come with the valves which screw in? I binned the few Conti tubes I had a long time ago as I found that my 'on the road' pump with its screw on connector meant that the blinking valves would unscrew after pumping up. Gave me a strong pumping arm though :shock:

Yes, but I no longer use a pump with screw on connector, its push fit.
    Find me on Strava
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

I always tighten the valves on my Conti tubes when I first get them - Park even sell a little tool to do it if you feel the need for one! As to the 'strong pumping arm' that might even be useful for other things but, for the life of me, I can't think of them (cue fnar fnar!).

Carbonator - For once, I have to agree with you on the colour co-orded valve caps.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)