Rim width

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited May 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Looking at some new rims, one of the concerns I have is the actual width. Tyre wise im running a 2.4 up front with a 2.35 rear. Currently I have some stans Crest ZTRs with a 21mm bead, should I be looking at a 25mm or more inner to give the tyres a more square profile?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I find wider rims are alway better. I use rims that wide with 2.2" tyres. With a narrower rim the ride is different and note is good way. Difficult to describe the difference but on wider rims i feel i can push a bit harder over the lumps and bumps and through turns. Subtle change but a nice one.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • step83
    That was my thinking though I was doubting myself, im looking at a pair of Stans ZTR Flows which are a 25mm ID not 100% im going to find decent rims much wider to be honest.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Take a look at the Hope Tech Enduro wheels. I've found the rims to be tough than Stans Flow EX.
    I don't like the latest super wide rims, might just be what I'm used to though.
  • step83
    Take a look at the Hope Tech Enduro wheels. I've found the rims to be tough than Stans Flow EX.
    I don't like the latest super wide rims, might just be what I'm used to though.

I get what you mean better the devil you know etc. Rim wise I upped from a 19mm ID on the last set to the 21's a couple of years back, same rubber an it was a big step was amazed what a few mm change did. From what I read the Hope Enduros are a 23mm ID which is 2mm more than I have now.
    Erring toward the Flows still though 25.5mm ID so wider still, tough as old boots an cheaper. A friend of mine pointed me toward some 36mm ID rims, I kindly declined!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Ryde trace trail is what i like. Off set drilled and 24.8mm id width. 28.6mm external. It is a rim which no other manufacturer beat. Dt swiss have something close but it is not offset drilled.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.