Wheels

slowslowslow
slowslowslow Posts: 488
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Nice quick one. Will a pair of kyserium elite be better than my Aksum that are on bike now?
Slow

Comments

• dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Nice quick one. Will a pair of kyserium elite be better than my Aksum that are on bike now?
    Slow

Not being funny, but what do you think? Do you think Mavic just randomly make a set of wheels £300 more than another for no reason?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,875
    Yes they would be a fairly hefty upgrade - the Aksiums are what, 1800g?

The Ksyrium Elites, IIRC, are low 1500's, so around a 300g saving, and then the bonus is you can keep the Aksiums as your winter wheels.

There may be other cheaper options out there, that would give you the same weight saving though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Slow on Aksium=slow on any wheel.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Ksyriums will feel appreciably better than Aksiums...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Define 'feel'..?
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    MikeBrew wrote:

After 1 ride they will feel the same.
  • MikeBrew wrote:

Do you rub them or summat?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • slowslowslow
    Cheers all.
    Slow- on anything.....
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Cheers all.
    Slow- on anything.....
    You're very welcome. Keep putting in the miles - the speed will come. If you want to save a few quid you could consider a set of these http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/a ... -dealx.htm I've just recieved a set, they weigh slightly more @ 1565 grams but are more aero, and I and find that, so far, they feel every bit as good as ksyriums. I paid £194.25 for mine with the discount code MADMAY25FB.

There's related thread here viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13064241&start=20
  • slowslowslow
    Cheers Mike. Busy with work but getting miles in when I can. Took half an hour off my time for Dragon ride last year and want to bring down again. Putting Conti Gp on has really made a difference but would like new wheels and there are so many out there...Looking at Kyserium as they are the the most recommended. Yes, they will be better but it's a bit of a layout so don't want to spend money needlessly. Heard of Superstar from mountain biking but never used them. I'll have a look.....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Cheers Mike. Busy with work but getting miles in when I can. Took half an hour off my time for Dragon ride last year and want to bring down again. Putting Conti Gp on has really made a difference but would like new wheels and there are so many out there...Looking at Kyserium as they are the the most recommended. Yes, they will be better but it's a bit of a layout so don't want to spend money needlessly. Heard of Superstar from mountain biking but never used them. I'll have a look.....

I think most of the posts on here are saying that spending the money on a new wheel set is actually spending the money needlessly. As in, you do not need to spend an extra £300 over and above your current wheels but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

The aero stuff you may read about means nothing for most average riders and shaving a few hundred grams will not help anyone fly around the Dragon route. Just stick with "I would like to change my wheels" and try and define what your priority is and what your general ride profile looks like. Does the Dragon look like your normal ride or are you getting a wheelset based on one event rather than what you normally do? If you live in a flat area and generally ride at 20mph+ then a deeper section will be a good match whereas if you do a lot of climbing then something lighter will feel good (you can also have deep but that then gets expensive).

How heavy you are is another factor. If you are over 100kg then low spoke counts are probably not a good idea, same goes for if you regularly do long 100 mile rides (you don't want an unrideable wheel because one spoke has popped on a pothole 50 miles from home in an area with no phone coverage).

I know it was a quick question but spending over £400 on wheels is usually a bit more than a one line answer. Use the search function, wheels come up time and time again so that will help with some of the basics.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Keezx wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:

No it generally takes two. First ride will feel great and then you notice your times are no different so you pump the tyres harder for the next ride and head out again and the bike feels even faster/better but your times will be the same as always. Third time out you'll wonder why you bothered.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    MugenSi wrote:
    Keezx wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:

No it generally takes two. First ride will feel great and then you notice your times are no different so you pump the tyres harder for the next ride and head out again and the bike feels even faster/better but your times will be the same as always. Third time out you'll wonder why you bothered.

At that point you moan & groan and then you are back in the loop, on the look for carbon... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • igsta
    igsta Posts: 56
    I have a set of ksyrium elite now and campy Zonda prior to that. Personally I was very happy with their performance over my stock Giant wheels, I commute and acceleration from the lights is much sharper than with the stock wheels.

Keep working on your fitness, set goals and reward yourself with "nice" wheels once you meet them.