Best upgrade for this bike

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi All
Cycling now for a couple of years and nver got into the "upgrade thing" have always gone down the Bargain basement route for my winter bike.

However , even though parts are working ok on my summer bike I have the itch for (a) new one (b) Upgrade.
Decided on (b) , I love (?) climbing and most of my rides include them , so looking for something to give me a bit more "zipp" on my regular rides and Sportives .
So can anyone give me point me in the right direction to upgrade this bike http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1671843/produ ... dals-.aspx
Thanks in advance.
regards
ILG

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Cant se what tyres you have but Conti GP4000S if you haven't already.

After that - youve a £100 pair of wheels on there so if you have ooh, 250 plus - that might make a difference.

Failing that - buy some new sunglasses or tops. Your bike is a good one.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Yeh new tyres, either those Contis or Michelin Pro4 Service Course in a 25c if they'll fit. Conti Supersonic inner tubes are much thinner and at £10 is a cheap upgrade too, removes some weight from the rim where it matters most.

As for wheels, take a look on thecycleclinic website to give you an idea as to what money will buy you.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Tyres look to be Hutchinson Nitro, a wire-beaded budget tyre. Most folding tyres would be an upgrade in weight terms. Schwalbe Durano or Vittoria Rubino Pro for big miles, something pricier and lighter for speed.
  • ilovegrace
    Thanks chap , if I went down the wheel route are 2nd hand worth considering ?
    I was looking at a set of Fulcrum 3s unused with tyres for £250 they have sold now , not expert on wheels to be honest.
    regards
    ILG
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Add £20 to your £250 and you'd get a set of new Zondas which are basically the same as Fulcrum 3's except with a different rear spoke pattern. A pair of new tyres (GP4000's or the new Michelin Power's) will compliment the new wheels.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    MugenSi wrote:
    Add £20 to your £250 and you'd get a set of new Zondas which are basically the same as Fulcrum 3's except with a different rear spoke pattern. A pair of new tyres (GP4000's or the new Michelin Power's) will compliment the new wheels.

Ribble often do a tyres + wheels deal on Zondas

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ilovegrace
    Good to hear , a friend of mine is selling a set of Zondas 2nd hand , worth taking a look ?
    regards
    ILG
  • rob39
    rob39 Posts: 479
    I've just upgraded to Campag Zonda's with Michelin pro4 endurance 25mm tryes from prolite luciano and gatorskins and what a difference, bike is really responsive, climbing is a joy.
  • ilovegrace
    Looks like Zondas are the way to go .
    As ever , many thanks for you considered reply's.
    Now for the Google search.
    thanks again
    ILG