Pioneer/Shimano vs. Rotor Powermeter

BurntHoosier18
BurntHoosier18 Posts: 27
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
So I'm looking for a power meter to put on my new Cervelo S3 but have compatibility issues with the crankset.

I'm running 6870 and the Rotor 3D30 crankset that came stock. The only problem I'm having is finding a power meter that's compatible. I don't know if I should keep the Rotor cranks or get an Ultegra or Dura-Ace crankset and replace the rotors.

If I kept the Rotors, I'd be limited to a power2max or the rotor Inpower/2Inpower depending on if they get off back order. The only cons to the Inpower are I really don't want to shell out $1600/£1115 for a power meter and the software seemed pretty complicated to use on rotor's website.

If I buy a shimano crank I can run Pioneer, which is apparently better and cheaper than Inpower. I'm most drawn towards the Pioneer system because it performs pretty high for a $999/£697 power meter, and they're running a promotion for a free cycling computer with the purchase of a dual-leg system. Is it worth it to get a new crankset to reap the benefits of the pioneer system? And is the Dura-Ace crankset respected more highly than the Rotor cranks?

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I run a power2max, it's rock solid, great piece of kit. I would go there first, it's highly regarded for a good price. The other options is a pedal based system, I've had vector and had problems with it but the power tap system seems to be well liked.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Stueys wrote:
    I run a power2max, it's rock solid, great piece of kit. I would go there first, it's highly regarded for a good price. The other options is a pedal based system, I've had vector and had problems with it but the power tap system seems to be well liked.

Same here using Rotor 3D24 crankset with a Power2max Type S. Faultless and simple.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I've been running a Power2max for a number of years (11,500 miles according to Strava) and it's been great and you can just buy the unit to fit on your 3D30 chainset for 690 Euro http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produkt/power-meters-en/power2max-type-s-rotor-3d-plus-and-3d-f-without-cranks-road/ which is about £550 or the INpower left arm option for 3D30 cranks is £499 from here http://www.velotechservices.co.uk/shop/vclose2.asp?prd=206943&cat=188 and you get a free bottom bracket.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'