Bibshorts

stoveman
stoveman Posts: 125
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking at investing in some new bibshorts,local shop does Bontrager and Castelli aswell as I think Altura.
Looking to support my lbs as always had great service,just wondered if anyone had any model recommendations from those brands mentioned for 3 ~ 6 hours in the saddle.

Cheers.
Phil.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ask them what they recommend?
  • hucko003
    hucko003 Posts: 28
    These are great, very happy with mine - http://road.cc/content/review/120743-ca ... bib-shorts
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    I purchased Endura FS260 Pro a few weeks back. Just completed an 81 mile ride in them and they felt great.

I have some Altura Progel, and the Endura's are about the same padding comfort wise, possibly marginally better, but feel just a tad tighter around the leg hem.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    edited May 2016
    in general, bib shorts is somewhere to put your money.

i have never got on with castelli, but i think its probably because the fit is weird (for me) - but the pad is VERY highly regarded as one of the best.. Free Aero / Endurance x2 .... anything with the X2 pad (rather than Kiss2 which is still probably better than most).
  • I tried a few in store and found that plenty had good padding below (with slight variation in fit), but some had such narrow shoulder straps that they weren't going to suit me on longer rides. I found some that fitted my frame more comfotably and have stuck with them since. It seems to be something that people stick with once they find a decent formula so choose wisely.
  • igsta
    igsta Posts: 56
    Endurance x2 for longer rides
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    Thanks for all the feedback,tried some Castelli bibshorts in the shop and can safely say sizing is random to say the least!
    Unfortunately, all the shorts in stock had the Kiss 2 and not the endurance I had hoped in them, although this was recommended by a member of staff who has given great advice in the past.
    Managed to bag a pair of Castelli bibshorts,and a pair of Kalas with the cytech pad,all for the grand sum £100 so happy with that.
    Trading up from the Aldi bibtights I started with in the autumn so bound to be an improvement ;)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I find castelli a good fit for long road bike rides. For mountain biking i use gore bibs as they have a bit more give in them.