Data gap on long ride - Garmin 520 - Fix?

vpnikolov
vpnikolov Posts: 568
edited May 2016 in Road general
Hello guys,

Had a ride today from London to Brighton and was recording it on my Edge 520, even followed the pre-loaded route on the map, no indication of issues what-so-ever as the GPS was really precise on the map. However... When I uploaded it on Strava, I noticed a 20km gap in which there is no data recorded and just a straight line from the point where it stopped recording to the point where it started again.

Any ideas why would that be the case and is there any way to reconstruct the ride with the data for the missing 20 km?

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    How does it look on Garmin connect?
  • vpnikolov
    Same, straight line from one point to the other. Anyway I have given up now. Was thinking about what must have happened and recalled that we stopped at one place and my Garmin shut down by itself. After I started it again, it was acting up for a couple of secs (like it blocked), but I did not pay much attention. This is exactly where the recording has stopped for some unknown reason (although everything looked fine on the screen).
  • g00se
    Might be worth playing with a few of these, but sounds like it was effectively on 'pause' for the 20k.

https://www.fitfiletools.com/#/top
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    You might be able to recover some of the missing data if it's important to you. Sometimes when Garmin devices go haywire they'll do odd things like put in timestamps from 01-Jan-1900, which wreaks havoc when other programs/services such as Garmin Connect or Strava try to read them.

The website link below is a good tool for repairing fit files, you can try their auto-repair function for starters and if that doesn't give you an success then have a look at the raw data in the CSV file and see what data is actually there for your missing 20 km.

http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/
  • vpnikolov
    g00se wrote:
    Might be worth playing with a few of these, but sounds like it was effectively on 'pause' for the 20k.

https://www.fitfiletools.com/#/top
    Well I am pretty sure it was not, because it was following a pre-defined route, the navigation was working fine and since I could follow the map all the way, I am not sure what went wrong.
  • g00se
    Ah, sorry - if the map tracking was working, then GPS was OK and being processed. Try those tools mentioned - the fitfiletools are a bit 'point and shoot' - so it'll be hard to see what's wrong if the 'corrupt time fixer' works.

The other tools linked to may be a good way to go.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    You'll have to just do the ride again
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I lost a third of Paris Roubaix because my 500 was 'Working'. It, literally, did that for two hours. After that, i just went Zen and I rarely take the garmin on my rides any more.
  • vpnikolov
    I gave up, nothing works... stupid Garmin. :evil: