This is my budget. But...

splitpea
splitpea Posts: 11
edited May 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi.

So I haven't ridden in about 12 years and Everything has changed.
I'm looking to buy a strong, heavy duty xc /light free ride bike and my budget is £1000.
I'm 6'4" and weigh a good 16stone.

I was looking at a virus sentier vrs but I need to get some experienced advice, which is why I'm here- I'm a noob again.

Basically- what would any of you buy if you were in my position? Thanks :D

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You're almost certainly going to need an XL size frame which really limits options.
    I'd look for a Nukeproof Mega AM, Specialized Enduro (or enduro evo) or the Giant Reign. All of these pedal well enough for xc use and can take a good battering.
  • splitpea
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I should have said- I also exclusively want a hard tail.

And when I said "light free ride", I mean downhill courses minus the jumps :)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    splitpea wrote:
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I should have said- I also exclusively want a hard tail.

And when I said "light free ride", I mean downhill courses minus the jumps :)

Give an example of the location you are referring too, to give us an idea of what you think downhill courses is.
  • splitpea
    I can appreciate I'm asking a fairly noob question but i did used to race- xc and 4x but mostly downhill, so I understand what a downhill course is. Haha.

I just want a nice, indestructible hardtail that will fit a heavy, tall person that I can cover large distances on.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Choices are extremely limited for an extra large downhill capable hardtail. Certainly not the vitus you mentioned anyway.
    Downhill capable hardtails are not common and if you want one big enough for a 6'4" rider they're very rare.
    All I can think of would be a Curtis or BTR custom built frame.
  • splitpea
    Choices are extremely limited for an extra large downhill capable hardtail. Certainly not the vitus you mentioned anyway.
    Downhill capable hardtails are not common and if you want one big enough for a 6'4" rider they're very rare.
    All I can think of would be a Curtis or BTR custom built frame.

Ok, what if we focus more on the xc side of things? Surely there are some strong, XL, XC bikes with decent travel on the forks out there ?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    OnOne 45650?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650BG ... ntain-bike

No XL size - but the L may fit depending on your proportions and preferences. A tough frame, not too heavy all in and soome decent kit.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Also the Bird Zero TR - the reach is much longer on these:

http://shop.birdmtb.com/zero-tr/zero-tr3.html
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/bikes/mountain-bikes/deedar

The large has the same effective TT length as the XL 45650B
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    splitpea wrote:
    I can appreciate I'm asking a fairly noob question but i did used to race- xc and 4x but mostly downhill, so I understand what a downhill course is. Haha.

So where would you be downhilling.